Question on TVS Blower Installation - FEAD Bracket/Water Pump

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Hey guys,

Usually I'm more frequent on Modded Mustangs but I had a question I think some of the people on SVT would be better at answering.

To keep it short, I'm currently in the process of installing a Stage 2 VMP TVS Blower along with a MMR Oil Pump & Gear, and I'm nearing the end of the installation where I'm re-installing belts and the FEAD Roush Brackets. I'm stuck at the part where you're mounting the first FEAD bracket which sites on the left side of the Front Engine Cover... Specifically, the Roush/VMP instructions make no mention of the fact that you actually have to remove one of the bolts attaching to the water pump in order for this bracket to fit on.

Well, that's not a problem however with this left-most bolt removed from the water pump, it simply isn't long enough to re-attach to the water pump with the bracket in front of it which adds about another 10-15mm I'd say eyeballing it. I actually tried to re-use the stock bolt, but ended up stripping it shortly after since it isn't long enough to reach all the way back into the water pump's threading... Luckily I didn't completely ruin the threading on the pump, as the bolt still goes in just fine with the FEAD bracket removed. It seems obvious that a slightly longer bolt should have been included, but I see no traces of it in the kit and without a proper length mentioned in the instructions, I have no idea what I need to do to get this properly mounted and installed. Any suggestions?

See page 54 of the Roush Instructions here to see what I'm looking at. It's pretty sad Roush doesn't even mention you need to remove one of the bolts from the water pump to get the bracket to even mount onto the engine cover. If you try leaving the water pump's bolt on, the FEAD bracket doesn't clear it as it has a flat metal surface that's obviously designed to have a bolt go through from the front of it.

http://www.roushperformance.com/par...M-BB-2011-5L-TVS-ROUSHcharger-Kit-9-22-11.pdf

bigblue95z

Established Member
Ran into this same scenario a few weeks ago doing my VMP stage 2 install. There should be 3 blackish color bolts that aren't mentioned anywhere in the directions either (have a flange head), don't know if there was a small revision in this bracket that wasn't reflected in the directions, but these appear to be what is used in this spot and a couple other where the longer bolt should be used. I initially went to the hardware store and bought a longer bolt for this spot until I realized about the 3 blackish bolts not being in the directions and the upper FEAD bracket looking different than what the directions show.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Ran into this same scenario a few weeks ago doing my VMP stage 2 install. There should be 3 blackish color bolts that aren't mentioned anywhere in the directions either (have a flange head), don't know if there was a small revision in this bracket that wasn't reflected in the directions, but these appear to be what is used in this spot and a couple other where the longer bolt should be used. I initially went to the hardware store and bought a longer bolt for this spot until I realized about the 3 blackish bolts not being in the directions and the upper FEAD bracket looking different than what the directions show.

Ahh thanks, much appreciated! I noticed those 3 black bolts as well but wasn't sure if they were used elsewhere or not. Now I can get back to the install, awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread