Question on Torque Reduction disable '11+ GT

01bluesnake

Established Member
Just figured i would make a thread in case anybody would like to put any more insight on this topic. On my '12, went in to my PRP software and turned torque module to 0 to disable it. Is there anything else i'm missing or another adjustment recommended to aid in this or is that it? I know it mentions it will turn off all torque reduction calculations. Thanks and the car is a M6

Also on a side question, what does 3=cluster mean when changing the traction control setting?

Last edited:

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As stang910 posted, in the Torque Limiting section, raise all the Torque Truncation values way up. That is the main reason you will see the throttle shut down on a stock car.

01bluesnake

Established Member
You need to change some things in the torque limit section.
thanks for the info, went through and made some adjustments last night.

As stang910 posted, in the Torque Limiting section, raise all the Torque Truncation values way up. That is the main reason you will see the throttle shut down on a stock car.

ah perfect. Thanks for that info. I was looking at them last night but didn't touch the values. The throttle shutting down in 4th on wot shifts has been my biggest issue, minus slight power reduction when getting into other gears.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
I left these alone because i slam gears (which ik the trans wont last long) but i figured leaving the torque limits will help keep the tranny around a little longer. Am i right thinking this way or should i just get rid of all of the torque limits.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I left these alone because i slam gears (which ik the trans wont last long) but i figured leaving the torque limits will help keep the tranny around a little longer. Am i right thinking this way or should i just get rid of all of the torque limits.

Your thinking right, as that is the purpose of those limits, but in leaving them stock, the PCM is going to be limiting power to the stock level as you can see them coming into play on a stock 5.0L dyno pull.

01bluesnake

Established Member
If that doesn't fix it, I will gladly look over your file if you want .

Just checked my old file and torque truncation was already at the max. It did have 2nd listed at 1388 even though 1000 is max. Is that just a glitch when it was set up? I made it 1000 like the rest. I'll play with the torque authorities and see if my problem goes away, and how the car reacts to the changes.

Drew

After a little searching on SCT PRP forum, found the definition behind the source numbers on the torque reduction source list which helped at modifying the tables.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
That's an old list in livelink. They aren't the same anymore. It would be nice if SCT updated the list.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ok, good to know. I'll see if I can find any info out while at work (ford) and if not maybe I can send a request over to Ford Engineering if they can get me the updated list.

Radar Doc

Established Member
I would certainly appreciate it if you could post the new torque source list if you get your hands on it. I think some of the values are the same as they've been in the past, but we're dealing with more functions that can bring on torque/spark/fuel reduction.

When you disabled your torque module switch, did you notice any issues on decel/coming to a stop? I tried it once and the car definitely woke up, but had issues with RPMs hanging at about 1200 RPM when coming to a stop. It would idle down fine eventually. I really didn't put much time into it. If nothing else, might be good for a race tune. Right now, I'm out of action for the winter. The roads/tires are too cold here to safely datalog.:cuss:

Mike

01bluesnake

Established Member
I would certainly appreciate it if you could post the new torque source list if you get your hands on it. I think some of the values are the same as they've been in the past, but we're dealing with more functions that can bring on torque/spark/fuel reduction.

When you disabled your torque module switch, did you notice any issues on decel/coming to a stop? I tried it once and the car definitely woke up, but had issues with RPMs hanging at about 1200 RPM when coming to a stop. It would idle down fine eventually. I really didn't put much time into it. If nothing else, might be good for a race tune. Right now, I'm out of action for the winter. The roads/tires are too cold here to safely datalog.:cuss:

Mike

Ya, when i disabled it i noticed idle hang, and a few other weird issues. I turned it back on and went through only taking away spark and fuel authority for traction control. As soon as i can get a revised list i'll play with more settings.

Michael55123

Established Member
Ya, when i disabled it i noticed idle hang, and a few other weird issues. I turned it back on and went through only taking away spark and fuel authority for traction control. As soon as i can get a revised list i'll play with more settings.

Reviving the dead. Any way to fix these idle hangs, or a different way to disable the torque reduction/torque management?

FordEvangelist

Established Member
Your thinking right, as that is the purpose of those limits, but in leaving them stock, the PCM is going to be limiting power to the stock level as you can see them coming into play on a stock 5.0L dyno pull.

I know this is old but it's the closest I've found to a problem I'm having. I have a 2007 Mustang GT (XZE2) and I went from a TR3650 to a Magnum XL 6 speed (3.38:1 1st gear to a 2.97:1 1st gear) and the car now falls on it's face when I launch on slicks. I logged the spark source chaning to 3 (torque control) as soon as I launched. It causes the car to fall flat on its face. If the tires spin, there is no truncation... only when I hook... which makes sense I think.

My guess is that the taller 1st gear is causing higher engine load earlier in the RPM range and that's triggering some kind of torque modulation.

Eric (or anyone) - the attached image is from my tune. The values were all stock. I've just changed them to what you see... is that what you are talking about when you say turn the Torque Truncation values way up?

Thanks.
Capture.JPG

01bluesnake

Established Member
Just noticed this got posted in. I haven't played with any of my torque source values since, so would have to double check my values. If your looking for the torque truncation tables, that's actually under a different table. You will need to look under torque limit, then manual trans. I have all mine set to 1388.

FordEvangelist

Established Member
My torque limit values were at 1388, too. I set them t0 ~2000. I also changed all the "authority" tables (spark and fuel) to something similar to the pic I posted above.

No track testing yet but on the street no issues and cruise control and rev limiters still work. I turned off tip-in control and I can feel that a bit. I actually like it better with it off. I will know for sure how it works when I get back to the track in 4 weeks or so.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I have too much wheel spin with my supercharged GT automatic. I am considering whether I can do better by detuning - by taking out timing. What are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread