Question on Shelby Alcoa wheels

Gabed1972

Established Member
I’m putting a set of these wheels on my 2014 GT500 Vert. 20 x 9 in the front and 20 x 10 in the back.

Well I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?

Kel

Established Member
Correct. I had Lund recalibrate only because I went with the 555R's in the rear, 305/35/20's. Pics?

svt662

Established Member
I’m putting a set of these wheels on my 2014 GT500 Vert. 20 x 9 in the front and 20 x 10 in the back.

Well I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?
Did you know that the rears will stick out due to the offsets.

Last edited:

svt662

Established Member
Just saying they do stick out if that’s the look your looking for. I would find 4 20x9’s and have the rears widened.

svt662

Established Member
Other than that they are a Great looking wheel.... And your Shelby looks super clean!

Last edited:

Kel

Established Member
That is the only down side, they do stick out slightly with that goofy offset giving it that slight "truck wheel/tire look". Other than that, they're a/the classic look on the S197's IMO.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Just saying they do stick out if that’s the look your looking for. I would find 4 20x9’s and have the rears widened.
No issues with "stick out" or not flush,
AFTER I aligned the car properly and centered the rear axle.

Is there something I'm missing between a 2011 and a 13/14?

My rear 20x10s were flush

20200503_140252.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Fwiw, better pic/angleView attachment 1657866

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

what size tire were you running pete?

the alcoas were designed to run 285/35/20 on the rears, which works. with a wider tire, you get more bulge, which makes it poke out more. not really the wrong offset per se, just not wide enough. they should have made them 11" in the rear to run 305s. if you widen the rears to 11", you're golden.

i ran the exact same size wheel and offset on my 07, with 305 555R. i was on Sportlines. the tire rubbed so bad it burned the paint :mad: changed it to 11" and no problem at all. it makes that much of a difference. with any other spring, you'll be fine. its just a matter of personal preference as to the looks.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
what size tire were you running pete?

the alcoas were designed to run 285/35/20 on the rears, which works. with a wider tire, you get more bulge, which makes it poke out more. not really the wrong offset per se, just not wide enough. they should have made them 11" in the rear to run 305s. if you widen the rears to 11", you're golden.

i ran the exact same size wheel and offset on my 07, with 305 555R. i was on Sportlines. the tire rubbed so bad it burned the paint :mad: changed it to 11" and no problem at all. it makes that much of a difference. with any other spring, you'll be fine. its just a matter of personal preference as to the looks.

stock size 285/35, Steeeeeeeeve :)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
stock size 285/35, Steeeeeeeeve :)

see, that's why it worked peeeeeeeeeeeeete lol. i believe you ran R888s, which are super sticky and can handle the power pretty well. shelby was putting meh 285s on the super snakes which is what had so many buyers displeased. guys quickly jumped to 305 5555Rs and then they weren't happy how it looked and the whole "alcoas have the wrong offset" issue started.

had shelby given them more backspacing (in more) and put 285s on them, people would complain that looks stupid lol. im sure they were also trying to keep from going too big due to the gearing.

now that i think about it, i think they were putting 275s on the super snakes. man, feels like a lifetime ago lol

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
see, that's why it worked peeeeeeeeeeeeete lol. i believe you ran R888s, which are super sticky and can handle the power pretty well. shelby was putting meh 285s on the super snakes which is what had so many buyers displeased. guys quickly jumped to 305 5555Rs and then they weren't happy how it looked and the whole "alcoas have the wrong offset" issue started.

had shelby given them more backspacing (in more) and put 285s on them, people would complain that looks stupid lol. im sure they were also trying to keep from going too big due to the gearing.

now that i think about it, i think they were putting 275s on the super snakes. man, feels like a lifetime ago lol

I edited my other post, good points.
But they got it right with the 13/14 SS wheels. I thought i would miss my Alcoas. Not really

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I edited my other post, good points.
But they got it right with the 13/14 SS wheels. I thought i would miss my Alcoas. Not really

they are superb quality wheels. i will give them that. they run unbelievably true and are super strong.. but heavy as a mofo! 30lbs at least.

and you remember the CA car show days. you go to the gt500 section and see 15 gt500s in a row with super snake wheels, none of them actual super snakes lol. not to knock anyone who loves that wheel. its a great wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread