question on running headers/cat back with out a tune

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I'm in the market for a lightning right now. I noticed a lot of trucks I'm inquiring about have LT headers + cat back with the stock tune. Comming from an 03/04 that crowd would never throw LT headers on with out a tune. Couldn't this lean you out a bit? Or am I being over concerned?

Last edited:

94jeff

Established Member
Your being over concerened. On an otherwise stock motor there is no gain with these. A tune will help but it would also help on a stock motor.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
No tuning needed but it can't ever hurt. Any time you improve flow into/out of the engine it helps power. On otherwise stock engines the biggest restriction is the stock 4 cat midpipe, ditching it and going with a two cat high flow setup will get you some power back relatively cheaply. L/T's and catback are a sound bonus until you start pushing 500+ RWHP. :thumbsup:

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I concur with Bob. Especially if the truck is totally stock and pulleys haven't been interchanged for more boost. The stock tune extremely safe and you won't have issues just adding full exhaust. Like mentioned, you won't see much torque or hp gains until your motor is pushing some big numbers.

Longtubes are fairly expensive. I would save that purchase for when you really sink your teeth into wanting big power.
Just add a midpipe and a good catback and the truck will sound great. IMO.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
My first mod was headers and exhaust. I picked up over 20 rwhp from it. The stock tune is fine, going lean from headers is a carb and speed density EFI issue.

Users who are viewing this thread