Question on Reckless Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
Hey All,
I was on my way home last night driving through lower Virginia and I got hit with an 81/65 ticket and he put on it that it was reckless driving. Now I am not here to make excuses that I wasnt doing the speed but what my question is is does anyone know how many points, how much it will be, and what do you think it will do to my insurance? I was in my Jeep and not the Cobra so that even adds more insult to injury. Thanks too all for any information you can give me.

Kris

Odessa_Trash

You definitely want to do whatever you can do to have it reduced to a regular speeding violation. Traffic violations are generally separated into two categories: Minors and Majors. A Reckless Driving cite is considered a Major and will be expensive. Worse than the cite itself, is what it can do to your insurance. Most "preferred risk" or "standard risk" companies will opt to non-renew you. Then you will end up with a "non-standard" company that will charge much higher premiums.

As for the ticket itself, something doesn't seem right. Reckless Driving cites are reserved for gross negligence. Cites in the same category include: DWI's, Evading a Police Officer, Hit and Run, Speed Contest, etc. As you can see, your cite of 81 in a 65 has no business being in that same category. If you present it the right way, hopefully the judge will see it that way also.

Good Luck.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
:??:

If I were a judge I'd throw that one out of court. It's not even the proper citation unless he has circumstances that were otherwise mentioned on the ticket.

lildew

Established Member
no, his 81 in a 65 is eligible for reckless in VA. Anything over 80 can be counted as reckless here in VA, i would know.....:rollseyes

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by lildew
no, his 81 in a 65 is eligible for reckless in VA. Anything over 80 can be counted as reckless here in VA, i would know.....:rollseyes

Wow, that's odd. Oh well, guess, getting it reduced to Careless Driving might be the solution.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
GET AN ATTORNEY. The cost to you in insurance, especially owning a Cobra, justifies the expense.

chiliman

Established Member
Unfortunately not only is anything over 80 eligible for reckless in Virginia but anything 15 mph or more over the speed limit. But it is officers discrestion on this.

Randy

TooSlow

Established Member
Originally posted by chiliman
Unfortunately not only is anything over 80 eligible for reckless in Virginia but anything 15 mph or more over the speed limit. But it is officers discrestion on this.

Randy

Actually it's any speed 20 mph above posted speed limit or 80 mph or above. So if you got a ticket for 74 in
a 55, the officer can not site you for reckless driving from
speeding alone...this is from the state code 46.2-852

Last edited:

Davechapelsvt

Established Member
i was caught going 102 in a 55 here in NY.... i got a lawyer, which kinda ****ed me over, it was a 11 point ticket but i had it reduced to 4 points.. the fine was 400 bucks and a manditory deffensive driving class.. the lawyer took me for another 400.. i spent over 800 on the ****ing thing.. great lawyer i had eh.. bastard!

When the cop pulled me over he asked how fast i was going.. i was like umm probably 70 haha.. he was like, not even close, try 102.. i was like no way dude.. i guess i lucked out cause they didn't take my car.. i drove home, or rather to a bar lol

Last edited:

Davechapelsvt

Established Member
i think he was just pissed cause his motorcycle tops out at 102 lol ****ing bike cop.. it was kinda my fault cause it was the forth of july weekend.. cops are always out..

CrimsonCobra_01

Established Member
wow, i really cant believe you guys and these speeds. your all sayin that 80 - 90 is rediculous?

im not tryin to sound badass, but around chicago you go 80 you will be passed everyminute, minivans and all. i fly on the highways all the time but it seems like virgina is really a tough place to speed.

safty is one thing but i see cops doin over 100 almost every week. but thats thier job i guess.

keep on truckin

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Originally posted by CrimsonCobra_01
wow, i really cant believe you guys and these speeds. your all sayin that 80 - 90 is rediculous?

im not tryin to sound badass, but around chicago you go 80 you will be passed everyminute, minivans and all. i fly on the highways all the time but it seems like virgina is really a tough place to speed.
Amen. Chicago area expressways=:rockon:

--T.J.

1SVT2NV

Established Member
Many times an officer will write the worst possible ticket for a given offense knowing it will be dropped to a lower offense in a "deal" during court. Hire a lawyer and get it dropped to a lesser charge.

Last edited:

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I dunno how old you are but I was 17 when I got mine. It wasn't in a car either, on my crotch rocket. I wont go into details but it ended up costing me a 6month suspension in license and I had to pay a 380dollar fine including I have to pay 210 dollars to get my license back not to mention how much the driving course will cost me (defensive driving) I believe is what it's called.

niterider4581

i'll never drive a car in virginia my god my buddy got a plan old 110 dollar speeding ticket for going 81 in a 65 .ill never go there as long as i live you have to go 25 over in ohio to get a reckless op my other buddy got a reckless op and speed for doing 92 on a 60 that was stupid but i have done stpid things too

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by niterider4581
i'll never drive a car in virginia my god my buddy got a plan old 110 dollar speeding ticket for going 81 in a 65 .

That seems fair to me :??:

stang2009

Banned
i got a reckless driving ticket and last august...they fined me over $500.00, lost my license for 6 months and my insurance is now $14,000 a year...but thats all in michigan.

99snakedt

Established Member
Originally posted by stang2009
i got a reckless driving ticket and last august...they fined me over $500.00, lost my license for 6 months and my insurance is now $14,000 a year...but thats all in michigan.

Your insurance went up that much from JUST A RECKLESS??? I doubt it. :rolleyes:

I have the worst record of anyone I know (1 Careless, 1 Reckless, 4 speed, + 4-5 other moving violations) and I only pay about $3k/year for full coverage on my 99 Cobra.

Last edited:

CrimsonCobra_01

Established Member
i agree with above. $14 k???? that is almost as absurd as sayin you can beat me in a race. hahaahaha

if you want ill insure you for 13 k a year. big savings to you and ill even pay for a few oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread