question on online vehicle registration renewal

Mike McRann

Established Member
Hello Everyone-
I have a question regarding online vehicle registration renewal that the DMV offers here in California.
My current registration is due to expire on Tuesday January 2 2007.
I was wondering if I still have enough time to renew online, or if I should go ahead and renew in person either at a DMV office or AAA and get my stickers at that time.

If I choose to renew online I know I won't have my new stickers for a week or two, so if I was pulled over for any reason would my registration show as valid since it was renewed online?

Will I get a confirmation number and some type of receipt that I can print and carry in my car to show my registration is valid?

Thanks for the information

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
There is no grace period on your vehicle's registration, so you need to get it paid ASAP.

In CA the DMV mails out pre-registration forms, instructions and fee amounts more than 60 days prior to the renewal date - so like I said, you need to get it taken care of ASAP.

I have not looked, but the DMV might be closed both the 1st and 2nd, so you need to move quickly! If you pay on-line I believe you will receive a conformation notice, but it will be up to the officer who stops you to believe it, since there will be a delay in its posting to the data base he will tap into.

Mike McRann

Established Member
There is no grace period on your vehicle's registration, so you need to get it paid ASAP.

In CA the DMV mails out pre-registration forms, instructions and fee amounts more than 60 days prior to the renewal date - so like I said, you need to get it taken care of ASAP.

I have not looked, but the DMV might be closed both the 1st and 2nd, so you need to move quickly! If you pay on-line I believe you will receive a conformation notice, but it will be up to the officer who stops you to believe it, since there will be a delay in its posting to the data base he will tap into.

Thanks for the help-
I just got off the phone with the DMV, told them that my registration will expire tuesday and asked if I still have time to renew online.
The person I spoke to told me that I do have enough time to pay the fees online and also that the system updates automatically and will show my registration as being valid in their system.
According to the DMV website the tags will be mailed within 5 days after the fees are paid.
I do understand that there is no grace period in paying the fees, and I have no intention of paying them late, I just didn't have the money to pay them earlier and plan to take care of them either today online or in person at AAA.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It's good to see DMV has finally joined he rest of the world with automating their data base so entries are real time now. I only mentioned the "no grace period" since can't depend on their system alwys being available. If you wait till the last day, Murphy's Law will find you trying to sign on only to find their system is down. Good luck. :beer:

Mike McRann

Established Member
mswaim said:
It's good to see DMV has finally joined he rest of the world with automating their data base so entries are real time now. I only mentioned the "no grace period" since can't depend on their system alwys being available. If you wait till the last day, Murphy's Law will find you trying to sign on only to find their system is down. Good luck. :beer:

That's why I'm taking care of it today.

Users who are viewing this thread