Question on lowered 96 Cobra, rear is too stiff

Shoeman 1

Established Member
You put shocks made for IRS in a car with a solid axle. That is your problem. Guaranteed.

Those springs are like 3X stiffer than the springs in our cars.

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!! I run H&R SS's with the Bilstein rear for the SRA axle and a pair of Terminator struts up front. I also opted for the poly ISO's front & rear, top & bottom. It totally blows away the Prokit's I had on there before with stock shocks/struts. Doesn't even compare no more harsh jolts, bangs or bumps etc. etc. It is firm I'll grant you the but it is in no way uncomfortable. I might add if he installed the H&R Race springs they might be the cause of some of the problems as well.

wildman97

Established Member
When I lowered my 97 the factory pinion snubber was about an 1/8 of an inch from the housing. That combined with the wrong shock is most likely your problem.

Cobranator

Established Member
I've had the same problem as OP. My car is lowered 1.5 inches but after the installation of Koni yellow single adjustables the ride in the rear is a lot smoother.

cbrown9064

Established Member
+1 on the pinion snubber. I got a new MM one when putting in the H&R super sports. With those spring and MM adjustable rear control arms, the stock snubber was touching the rear end. Change it out...

SVT CAMR

Established Member
The way I did it was with stock rear springs and weight jackers with a decent set of shocks like koni str-t. I also found the BMR 1" front lowering springs at a 525 rate with the str-t struts to be a nice ride while getting the car lower.

When I put my car back to street the harsh ride was a big concern but like you I wanted that 4x4 look gone.

With this combo it is about as close as she will get to stock and lowered.

Sounds like you mismatched the suspension pieces you bought. At the very least change the rear shocks and springs.

Spiney

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the reply. First thing tomorrow I'll check the snubber.

I can't afford to replace everything right now, but I want to start with replacing the rear shocks. I'm on disability from 4 back surgeries and my wife has been laid off since January. So money is tight.

What shock do you suggest? Does Bilstein make one that's designed for an SN95 Straight Axle?

Sounds like there is some hope for compromise here.

Thanks, Dave

Spiney

Established Member
Follow up question: how do I setup Tapatalk so I get notified when someone replies to a message?

Thanks, Dave

cbrown9064

Established Member

I can't afford to replace everything right now, but I want to start with replacing the rear shocks. I'm on disability from 4 back surgeries and my wife has been laid off since January. So money is tight.

What shock do you suggest? Does Bilstein make one that's designed for an SN95 Straight Axle?

Thanks, Dave

Yes, I have the Bilsteins on mine...

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member

Thanks, Dave
Yes they absolutely do make a shock for 94 to 98 solid axle cars. do that and change the snubber and you'll be good to go.

Spiney

Established Member
Found the problem. I was at CJ'S Customer Appreciation Day and a nice gentleman named Travis from Midwest Motorsports checked out my setup.

I have IRS Cobra shocks on the rear. They have very little travel. So I need to get some SN95 solid axel shocks and I'm fixed.

Thanks for all your replies.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Found the problem. I was at CJ'S Customer Appreciation Day and a nice gentleman named Travis from Midwest Motorsports checked out my setup.

I have IRS Cobra shocks on the rear. They have very little travel. So I need to get some SN95 solid axel shocks and I'm fixed.

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, IRS shocks won't work on a straight axle as noted. Also, if you don't replace that stock pinion snubber, you will be bouncing off that. The proper snubber is like $10 from Maximum Motorsports...

Users who are viewing this thread