Question on lighting?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I do a good bit of driving at night, and most of the area is rural with a good number of deer. I'm wanting to upgrade the lights on my daily driver (2003 4runner) to reach out further to help detect these things. I was going to just use a PNP HID kit, but it has halogen housings and I don't want to blind oncoming traffic. A lot of guys I've spoke with are using HIR (halogen infrared) bulbs, and the lighting is much improved. However, I still think I'd like a little more.

I'm thinking about mounting a pair of driving lights on the bumper. My idea is to have them wired with the high beams, and also switched. This way, I can have just the high beams on when I'm around town and know I'll be switching from hi/low a lot. Once I'm out of the city limits, I can flip this switch and run the driving lights with the high beams (I have separate hi/lo, bulbs, both are on when the high's are on). This way, when I do meet a car, I use the factory lever to turn the hi beams off, and with that the driving lights turn off.

I don't think there will be any issues regarding blinding traffic as the lights will be dimmed. However, from what I can tell, pretty much all states only allow four lights to be on at once (which is why the fogs dim when hi beams are turned on). With the setup I'm looking at, I'd have six bulbs on (2 low beams, 2 hi beams, 2 driving lights). How big of a deal is this? I'm thinking that it shouldn't be something that will be a big issue, and it is safer (IMO) than just tossing HIDs in reflector housings (which I realize is also illegal). For the LEO's, is this something that you would look closely for? This will not be used in the city limits (the "city" contains 2k people where I live, and 25k people where I visit frequently, so not a major city at all). The last thing I want is issue with local LEO's, but it seems with the setup I'm wanting to run it shouldn't be. I would appreciate any input you guys can provide, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread