Question on layering wax

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
I know I could ask this on Autopia-but I just feel more comfortable asking this here.

I just bought a PC and 2 sets of starter pads from Scott's (and not a plug for Scott's or anything, but this guy must be waiting by his computer at all hours of the night waiting for orders, b/c I got the stuff 2 business days after ordering!)-he is awesome!!!!!!!Best service EVER!

Anywho, here is my plan of attack:
I will claybar to get off old wax
SSR2.5 to remove some hairline scratches
SSR1 to clean up SSR2's mess
RMG to set the tone
Vanilla Clearkote Moose X2 for wetness
Top with P21S for da depth

My question is-after I apply the RMG, do I have to wait until I put the Vanilla Clearkote Moose on? How long in between each coat, and should I wash before reapplying.

Also on durability. I have the car covered in an enclosed communal parking garage. How long will the finish last and will the cover deteriorate the finish? It is a fairly nice Evolution cover designed for my car. I only take the car out when its nice and rarely ever sits in sun.
Thanks for any help!!!

10thTerminator

Established Member
Seems like the RMG and vanilla moose are the same product, ones just for red. You could just x2 the rmg.
I would wait 24 hours between coats of RMG. With Glazes and sealants the paint can only take in so much so fast, then you are just wasting your time. 2 coats of glaze I think is about the limit

No washing in between

I think by top coating it with Carnuba you could get 6-8 weeks before it will start losing that snap.

This is after the second coats of EX and Nattys
IMG_1139r1.JPG

spree

Established Member
According to Scott, you're better off skipping out on the VM and just using RMG. Top it off with the wax of your choice (you're gonna want to go with a carnauba wax on torch red)

spree

Established Member
10thTerminator said:
Seems like the RMG and vanilla moose are the same product, ones just for red.

From what I understand, they're not. VM contains oils, whereas I don't think RMG does. VM is also slightly abrasive and therefore is considered a light polish...RMG has no abrasives. Also, RMG is advertised as being for both blacks and reds.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
10thTerminator said:
Seems like the RMG and vanilla moose are the same product, ones just for red. You could just x2 the rmg.
I would wait 24 hours between coats of RMG. With Glazes and sealants the paint can only take in so much so fast, then you are just wasting your time. 2 coats of glaze I think is about the limit

No washing in between

I think by top coating it with Carnuba you could get 6-8 weeks before it will start losing that snap.

This is after the second coats of EX and Nattys
IMG_1139r1.JPG
No washing-won't the dust that accumulates on the surface of the paint dull the final finish?

spree

Established Member
cobravenom39 said:
No washing-won't the dust that accumulates on the surface of the paint dull the final finish?

that's why God created QD spray and MF detailing towels ;)

Scott P

Established Member
Sorry if I'm a little groggy. I've been up all night just waiting for orders to come in. :-D

Vanilla Moose and Red Machine Glaze are different products. RMG is more of a pure glaze than Vanilla Moose. It does contain oils and other ingredients that happen to work great on black and red cars. You can still use it on other colors without a problem. It won't turn your white car pink or anything. ;-)

Vanilla Moose is a bit of a hybrid. It contain some very minor polishing properties and it also has wax in its formula. You can layer it on top of RMG if you wish. Personally, I would use one or the other. Call me wacky, but I only need one glaze at a time on the car.

Scott P

Established Member
Sealants such as EX, EX-P and UPP will work fine over RMG. Others like Zaino and Klasse SG really require a surface free of oils to bond to.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Scott P said:
Sealants such as EX, EX-P and UPP will work fine over RMG. Others like Zaino and Klasse SG really require a surface free of oils to bond to.

I now EX contains wax, but it is more of a sealant??

Can I do a layer of P21S over EX???

Oh my God, I think I am getting addicted to this

10thTerminator

Established Member
Ok, that's it. The Moose is on the way, just placed an order with Scott for the RMG and Moose wax.

I should have waited till 3 am to see if he is really waiting by the computer.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
10thTerminator said:
I should have waited till 3 am to see if he is really waiting by the computer.

You guys!!!I was being hyperbolic!!!!!!!!!! Just one way of saying how good this guy is. I spent $250 just this week at his store!

spree

Established Member
cobravenom39 said:
You guys!!!I was being hyperbolic!!!!!!!!!! Just one way of saying how good this guy is. I spent $250 just this week at his store!

:eek:

damn, what'd you buy?

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
I just detailed my wifes 96 Mystic & my 03 SB Cobra with the RMG topped with Megs 16 this stuff is fantastic gave "a lil sumpin x-tra" to the colors just wish my DC wasn't messed up I would have posted pics.of them

spree

Established Member
icu812 said:
I just detailed my wifes 96 Mystic & my 03 SB Cobra with the RMG topped with Megs 16 this stuff is fantastic gave "a lil sumpin x-tra" to the colors just wish my DC wasn't messed up I would have posted pics.of them

wait till I do my car...I'm gonna try to do RMG + Souveran this weekend :pepper:

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Sorry to bring this up Again!!! If I use the PC and a Polishing pad from Scott's to apply RmG, and then reapply it in the same manner to double coat it, will I just remove the first layer. I know RMG has innate polishing qualities, but will it polish itself off?

Users who are viewing this thread