Question on KB LC supercharger polished intake tube size

Poisonous West

Established Member
For those who have the KB LC 2.8L and 3.6L supercharger, can you post what is the OD of the polished intake tube?

I would like to know the OD of that polished tube at both end if there is a different at each end (filter inlet and throttle body inlet). Thanks for your help.

I am making my own custom 130mm intake system - a VERY VERY UNIQUE one and if that special material is strong enough and withstand the under hood temperature.

Last edited:

Poisonous West

Established Member
Thanks.

Let say the KB 2.8L / 3.6L has the dual 75mm diameter throttle body. The throttle body inlet is an oval sharp which means the center height of the throttle body is more than 75mm - I am not sure the exact dimension but I would guess around 102mm (~ 4").

The cross section of the dual 75mm throttle body is 8836mm^2.

If the inlet tube is 4" OD (with 16 gauge wall thickness) which in tern has 3.875" ID with a corss section of 7608.5mm^2.

If the inlet tube is 4.25" OD (with 16 gauge wall thickness) which in tern has 4.125" ID with a corss section of 8622mm^2.

If the inlet tube is 4.5" OD (with 16 gauge wall thickness) which in tern has 4.375" ID with a corss section of 9699mm^2.

I look thru lots of pictures of KB LC 2.8L and 3.6L LC supercharger intake tube. It seems like the OD of the tube where goes to the throttle body is about the 4" but I need someone to confirm.

My 3D CAD data of my specaial intake has been sent to a special shop already.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
20140726_202605_zpspufex4ik.jpg

Like this...custom 147mm w/ 140mm CJ maf

The KB version is called the gimme 5..aka 5" tube or 127mm mine is 5.75" but the maf will be the restriction point..but at 140mm it is zero restriction to 1600hp.

Last edited:

Poisonous West

Established Member
HI Jay,

the one you shown is a oval shape tube that you custom make. But the polished intake tube that comes with the KB S/C package is a round tube. I am talking about that rouund tube out side diameter.

I look thru lots of pictures and it really look like a 4" or 4.25" OD tube.

Below is my custom TRUE 130mm ID intake in 3D CAD.

130mm.JPG

130mm-2.JPG

1320 Junkie

Established Member
HI Jay,

the one you shown is a oval shape tube that you custom make. But the polished intake tube that comes with the KB S/C package is a round tube. I am talking about that rouund tube out side diameter.

I look thru lots of pictures and it really look like a 4" or 4.25" OD tube.

Below is my custom TRUE 130mm ID intake in 3D CAD.

View attachment 24560

View attachment 24559

K..looks cool. But why go thru the trouble if you can fit a 140 CJ for more Maf range. ..just make a tube and buy the Maf. Maybe im confused as to why u want a 130mm tube. The KB kit incorporates the maf sensor directly into the tube also...im confused a bit...are you trying to design a new maf housing or cai tube or both ?

My tube is 6" o.d. 1/8" wall so 5.75" I.d. the ends dont change volume...just shape on my tube which is great for flow properties.

Last edited:

Poisonous West

Established Member
K..looks cool. But why go thru the trouble if you can fit a 140 CJ for more Maf range. ..just make a tube and buy the Maf. Maybe im confused as to why u want a 130mm tube. The KB kit incorporates the maf sensor directly into the tube also...im confused a bit...are you trying to design a new maf housing or cai tube or both ?

My tube is 6" o.d. 1/8" wall so 5.75" I.d. the ends dont change volume...just shape on my tube which is great for flow properties.

Hi Jay, as everyone knows, the GT500 has options for the intake system (JLT 123 / 127 CAI, Steeda 130 CAI, FRPP 123 & 140 housing, etc).

But one thing IN COMMON for ALL of those aftermarket CAI upgrades is right the MAF sensor, the tube shape goes from round to an oval shape.

I am actually trying to design a new MAF housing and a separate new tube that incorporates the oval outlet mates to my 70mm TJ throttle body.

The 140mm FRPP housing is way over kill for the my TVS set-up. It actually lows down the incoming air velocity.

As you can see in my pictures, my new MAP sensor housing has the velocity stack entrance (from 150mm to 130mm) to smooth out the incoming turbulence air flow. The ID of center section is a TRUE 130mm diameter where the MAF sensor attach (read). After the MAP sensor, it goes into a smooth transition of 104.75mm (4.125") ROUND tube to speed up the incoming air. The 130mm to 104.75mm transition diameter are center to center.

Unlike most aftermarket CAI tube after MAF sensor, the round tube transition into an oval shape - the center of the oval is NOT center to center from the transition.

My 70mm TJ throttle body has a cross section of 7697mm^2 (at the butterfly). The 104.75mm diameter has 8622mm^2 cross section.

I am trying to figure out the correct ID after the transition that will give me the result I want but would NOT hurt air flow.

My new design has a uniform 5mm thickness and will be made out of automotive OEM spec plastic. One good thing about the plastic is I can make the part transparent. I am in the process of CAD design the other end which is from a round tube to an oval shape matches to the throttle body. The piece is also made out of clear plastic (5mm thickness) so you can see the thru. Then I will use a hose coupler to joint the 2 plastic part.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Hi Jay, as everyone knows, the GT500 has options for the intake system (JLT 123 / 127 CAI, Steeda 130 CAI, FRPP 123 & 140 housing, etc).

But one thing IN COMMON for ALL of those aftermarket CAI upgrades is right the MAF sensor, the tube shape goes from round to an oval shape.

I am actually trying to design a new MAF housing and a separate new tube that incorporates the oval outlet mates to my 70mm TJ throttle body.

The 140mm FRPP housing is way over kill for the my TVS set-up. It actually lows down the incoming air velocity.

As you can see in my pictures, my new MAP sensor housing has the velocity stack entrance (from 150mm to 130mm) to smooth out the incoming turbulence air flow. The ID of center section is a TRUE 130mm diameter where the MAF sensor attach (read). After the MAP sensor, it goes into a smooth transition of 104.75mm (4.125") ROUND tube to speed up the incoming air. The 130mm to 104.75mm transition diameter are center to center.

Unlike most aftermarket CAI tube after MAF sensor, the round tube transition into an oval shape - the center of the oval is NOT center to center from the transition.

My 70mm TJ throttle body has a cross section of 7697mm^2 (at the butterfly). The 104.75mm diameter has 8622mm^2 cross section.

I am trying to figure out the correct ID after the transition that will give me the result I want but would NOT hurt air flow.

My new design has a uniform 5mm thickness and will be made out of automotive OEM spec plastic. One good thing about the plastic is I can make the part transparent. I am in the process of CAD design the other end which is from a round tube to an oval shape matches to the throttle body. The piece is also made out of clear plastic (5mm thickness) so you can see the thru. Then I will use a hose coupler to joint the 2 plastic part.

Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread