Question on IRS/DIFF

Bite Me

Established Member
I was under the car the other day swapping the 12mm bolts for 14mm bolts in the front sub mounts.

I put my hand on that rubber block with two bolts through it under the diff and it moved. You can bounce it around just by touching it.

First off, what is it? Second, is it supposed to move like that? Seems like just a guard to protect it from rocks, or bumps, but just doesnt seem right to me.

Sorry for the ignorance, but cant find anything about that piece.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Are you talking about the rubber vibration damper on the front diff support brace? You can see it here just under the pinion flange.

DT_susp_IRS.JPG

Bite Me

Established Member
Right, thats what I am talking about. I just grabbed on to it to slide under the car and it moved, way more than I thought it should. Moves a good half inch upwards if you push on it. Seems really loose.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Ummm, not my pic. I am pretty certain that was the original pic used for the "IRS" article on here. It came up in a Google search.

Yes, you can remove it without any issues or you can tighten the bolts. Your call.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Just get rid of that stupid thing and put in the 03/04 or FR500 pinion brace.

Bite Me

Established Member
Thats what I will probably do when I drop the IRS for bushing install. It clunks around under there when I hit bumps so cant be doing any freaking good anyways.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Speaking of dropping the IRS, anyone have a good easy way to change out gears on the IRS?

take it to a shop. if you are handy, take out the center section and take to shop. parts and labor should be ~$500 for a gear swap. ~$150 if you bring them the center section/pumpkin alone. if your NA go with 4.56

Last edited:

01fordcobra

Established Member
I'm well adverse with working on cars, taking things apart are not an issue. I just wondered if anyone knew a few quick tips for when I drop it. Nice how to, Thanks!

brkntrxn

Established Member
Joe Lynch's instructions have worked well for quite a few people over the years, including myself the multiple times I have pulled halfshafts and the pumpkin.

One trick that I have not done but may save you some trouble... if all you are trying to do is get to the pumpkin, you don't need to fully dissassemble the halfshaft from the spindle. Leave the axle nut on and pull the halfshaft out with the spindle still attached. The halfshaft nut is a one time use item and I have had two halfshafts tear up because the nut burred the threads as I was taking it off. Save yourself 18$ for the two nuts and the risk of it messing up the threads. Just make sure you check the torque on it when you get everything back together.

If you need pics and further explanation, let me know and I can post up a few.

-Kevin

Bite Me

Established Member
I am doing my gears when I drop the IRS for bushing install. Do it all in one shot and save some cash. Def not a big deal to drop the pumpkin out of it though if you dont want to drop the IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread