Question on how to solve gear whine

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Hi All,

well, it happened. After 3 days on the track with street tires, my gears are whining like hell at around 60mph. I have the factory rear end with 3.55 gears, LSD, that were installed in the factory. So no one ever installed gears in my car. Is there a way to repair that, and if it is possible, will it come back? Or do I have to build the rear end to get rid off it?

Thanks,
LEXiiON

Snoopy49

Established Member
You may be able to get away with just replacing the collapsible spacer on the pinion and re-torqueing to spec.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm the next guinea pig it looks like after I get my 3:90 gear installed.

We'll see what happens after I do my drag romp.

Ablaze

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with Red Line Heavy Shockproof for those that don't drag race but want to quiet down gear whine due to solid bushing suspension?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Replacing the collapsible spacer is just a stop gap fix, I believe the collapsible spacer is the problem. Assuming there has been no damage done to the gears. This should work until you try a hard launch on sticky tires.

The collapsible spacer doesn't require the removal of the ring gear and carrier, you just remove the pinion nut, remove the flange, seal, replace the spacer, seal and reinstall flange and nut and retorque to spec.

To use the solid spacer you will need to remove the ring gear and carrier in order to set the preload on the pinion bearings.

Here is the procedure for the solid spacer on a 70 Plymouth Dana 60 rearend.
The torques and preload are only for the Dana 60. But it gives you a pretty good idea of what is involved.

Pinion Bearing Preload.jpg

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
TeamZ builds them custom when setting up the rear but I think they can be sourced although you have to customize it to the right spacing
-J

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
This article is a little dated, but it may be worth a read.
The Ford 8.8 Mustang Rear End

Do you have any articles or references which you could recommend for a 8.8 rebuild? Thanks

I took the cover off mine (it's a whiner at 40+ mph) and saw no damage, fluid seemed clean, so I wiped everything down as best I could and swapped in 75-140w fluid, which quieted it down a little. I checked the ring/pinion backlash while I was there and it measured .018" which seems like a problem????? Could that extra backlash be the cause of the whine?

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I wonder if Yukon gear made a change on their solid spacer kit for 8.8 rear ends, the one shown above in one of the links Snoopy49 provided looks different than the one I received over a year ago when I ordered one from Summit.

I'm gonna have to call them and see what the deal is, I don't want to run into an issue once my diff is apart installing my gear set and parts are incorrect.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
This is from the 2014 Ford Mustang Service Manual.
This will give you an idea of what is involved.
2013-4 Mustang Rearend Procedures.pdf
Driveline System - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING .pdf

Thanks for those! Lemme ask, if you were me and had .018" backlash (specs say .008"-.012"), would you simply adjust the backlash and try that, or would you go for whole rebuild?

I am thinking to adjust the backlash as close to .008" as I can, and then see if whine is gone. I DO see incorrect backlash listed as possible cause of whine in the 'DIAGNOSTIC AND TESTING' pdf that you attached.

I apologize if I am hijacking this thread at all.

Users who are viewing this thread