Question on Fidanza flywheel and Clutch install

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
I'm replacing the clutch and flywheel in my Cobra. I'm getting the Fidanza 2.1 along with the aluminum flywheel. I'll be putting in the HD ford TOB and pilot bearing along with it.

My question is, do I need anything else for the install? I saw lethal performance has a 'ford racing 11" clutch bolt kit' that comes with dowels to help align everything. Will I need this or what?

Thanks for any help

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
My Fidanza aluminum flywheel came w/dowel pins. I just pressed them in w/a vise. My pivot ball was more worn than I wanted and one of the spring clips that holds the pivot ball was broken so I got a new pivot ball and clutch fork. Make sure you have some decent extensions and a good swivel (I used an impact swivel) to get to the top bellhousing bolts. I recommend the "bread method" to get your pilot bearing out. The puller I rented (at least it was free) from Advanced didn't do squat.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Tear up a piece of bread (I removed the crust first) and put pieces into the center of the pilot bearing. Keep putting bread in until it fills the cavity. Then use something that is the similar diameter as the input shaft to compact the bread into the cavity. I have a metal clutch alignment tool, but I hear others have done it w/a certain size socket & extension. Or maybe a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot to get a metal dowel? Anyway, use the "tool" to compact the bread. As the bread is compacted, add more bread. W/each hit you should see the pilot bearing come out a little. IIRC, it took me about 1.5 pieces of bread. The hydraulic forces will push the pilot bearing out. I've also heard others wetting the bread some. Sounds a little messy to me, but maybe it works better.

SPoole

Established Member
HA, never heard of bread, I have done the same thing with grease. It was much more messy than I assume bread would be though.

Users who are viewing this thread