Question on "5th Gear lockout" - Upcoming DFW Half Mile Event and worried

res0n0xg

Established Member
I have the stock shifter still, in preparation for the event, I've found a couple times to run up at WOT from 4th to 5th, and can't get the damn thing into 5th at WOT shifting quickly, have to let off the gas, pause and then shift. Normally, I wouldn't care too much other than being anal about it... I have an 07 with stock 3.31's so this is around 140mph give or take, but I am running a half mile event in a few weeks.

Will an MGW fix this? I don't have a 1-2 grind issue even with my stock shifter, but is the consensus of the 5th gear shifting issue really just the car trying to stop you from hitting reverse?

Fast Ford

Established Member
i've run several 1/2 mile Wannagofast events and never have gone into 5th gear, you'll be close to the rev limiter at the 1/2 mark but if you shift into 5th you'd scrub off some speed. I have an 07 also with 3.31's and a TVS with other bolt-ons and I trap around 156 to the upper end of 156. Make sure you put some octane in the car, 1/2 mile and mile runs can be hard on the car at WOT.

Yagermeister

Established Member
MGW Gen II solved the issue for me and a WOT box helped as well to really smooth out the shifts since it cuts tq during the shift from a split second

Fast Ford

Established Member
Positive...my cars very consistent in that range as I stated earlier I've done a lot of the 1/2 mile stuff. When I cross the trap sometimes I'll bump the limiter usually a couple of hits and sometimes not.

We also may not have the same cars. FRPP 123 cai, VMP 67mm tb, VMP Gen 2, Kooks LT's, O/R X into FRPP M-5230-SGT axle backs, Dyno tuned by VMP running VP 110 octane.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I started a thread about this a few months ago.

I have the MGW Gen 1. I would get "locked out" of 5th sometimes, over 130mph. I analyzed this problem closer. Turns out I could reproduce the lock out 100% of the time, and reproduce NOT getting locked out 100% of the time.

Turns out, if you shift and just push the shifter hard on an up diagonal, you would tag the reverse lock-out, which in turn put the shifter into a no man's zone between R and 5th gear. I concluded this was USER ERROR. You really need to shift with precision, and go up and into 5th versus, just ramming the thing up and to the right. Trust me there is no problem here, other than how you are shifting it! Visualize the gate pattern, just like how older Ferraris had. Be precise!

Also, don't no lift shift into 5th. Not good for your clutch or drivetrain.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Spend some time sitting in the car, engine off, and shift through all the gears many times. You will learn the nuances of this shifter/gear box. Really try to feel the differences in how the shifter moves through the pattern.

Either way, you owe it to yourself to get an MGW!!!!!! I really like the Gen 1's stiff side to side feel. I think its great, and will not change to the Gen 2.

einehund

Established Member
I had this same issue on the Autobahn with the stock shifter and I agree that it is user error. The 4-5 shift is farther apart than the 2-3. I kept hitting the lock out when pushing the shifter diagonally up. I had to make a concious decision to push the shifter OVER and THEN UP. It takes fractionally longer to do this, but it is faster than hitting the lockout.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had this same issue on the Autobahn with the stock shifter and I agree that it is user error. The 4-5 shift is farther apart than the 2-3. I kept hitting the lock out when pushing the shifter diagonally up. I had to make a concious decision to push the shifter OVER and THEN UP. It takes fractionally longer to do this, but it is faster than hitting the lockout.

Yeah, it's possible to get locked out of 5th if you push it over to far.

Users who are viewing this thread