Question/input from SHO owners or Ford techs

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Well, how well does your SHO launch? i took my 2010 to the track and got a best 60ft of 2.5sec. the car just blew the front tires off and wheel hopped all the way through 1st gear. i found a tsb and sure enough i can spin the driveshaft by hand with the car in park, which according to ford means my PTU is junk. makes sense to me. the car is 100% stock.

so i just got the car back from ford after they replaced my PTU and on the way home i was playing with it. first launch blew the front tires off and wheel hopped bad, then a clunk, then no more wheel spin and the car took off. second launch (no brake boosting) no wheel spin car launched ok. third launch i brake boost and blow the front tires off for a second, then a clunk, then traction. :cuss: fourth launch blew the front tires off, clunk, traction, clunk, tire spin, clunk traction. that time the trans stuck in 1st gear and i had to cycle the key to get it to shift again.

anyone have any ideas? other than dynamite. i expect nothing less than 1.8-1.9 60 ft with AWD and 365hp. i dont understand why this car wants to spin so much. :burnout:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
in pouring rain, with a boosted launch it mine doesnt slip a bit. your PTU is indeed deaded. sorry sir.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I drove my friends SHO and it pulled hard with no wheel hop. No loss of traction. Was nice for a turbo'd v6. Other than that, I'm of no help.

MysticRob

Established Member
yeah, only it was just replaced.

Maybe that's just what they told you... I've seen shady stealerships do worse by their customers. :shrug:
I'd take it back and if they say they've replaced it again have them prove it to you by showing you the suspected bad parts. :beer:
I'm not familiar with these cars, but if the dealer did what they say they did, either that new part is bad, or it wasn't the cause of the issue. Either way, sounds like another service is warranted. Please keep us updated on cause/resolution when you can.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
ptu is a solid drive through part. i would bet the rear diff is not engaging, it has the active torque coupling in it.

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
I've seen similar problems on the Edge and Five Hundred. It's the same design so this likely applies. The PTUs fail left and right, but I've never seen one fail like you describe. Your car uses an active torque clutch rear axle designed by Volvo. I've had several differential electronic module failures and pressure control solenoid failures. The solenoid is cheap and easy, the module is much more expensive. I've had one Edge that destroyed the active clutch in the rear axle. And because it's a POS Volvo, it's only available as an expensive assembly. That shouldn't matter to you however as you should still covered under powertrain warranty. Have the dealer scan the DEM and go from there.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I've seen similar problems on the Edge and Five Hundred. It's the same design so this likely applies. The PTUs fail left and right, but I've never seen one fail like you describe. Your car uses an active torque clutch rear axle designed by Volvo. I've had several differential electronic module failures and pressure control solenoid failures. The solenoid is cheap and easy, the module is much more expensive. I've had one Edge that destroyed the active clutch in the rear axle. And because it's a POS Volvo, it's only available as an expensive assembly. That shouldn't matter to you however as you should still covered under powertrain warranty. Have the dealer scan the DEM and go from there.

Thank you very much. i am making an apt to have them look at it again :beer:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't let the dealer BS you. No matterwhat they story they give you, all you have to say is, "It still doesn't work. It's under warranty. Fix it."

Thank you very much. i am making an apt to have them look at it again :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread