Question for you lightning fellars.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I'm thinking about maybe getting a lightning(01-04) and was wondering if you guys insure them as 2wd f150's or what. I've seen a few guys that have said they insure them just as regular f 150s and was wondering if it was legal or how you have to do it? Thanks in advance.

wayboarder

Established Member
I'm thinking about maybe getting a lightning(01-04) and was wondering if you guys insure them as 2wd f150's or what. I've seen a few guys that have said they insure them just as regular f 150s and was wondering if it was legal or how you have to do it? Thanks in advance.

You have to give your VIN number to the insurance company i think about 100% of the time and on some insurance companies they have it listed as a f-150 and on others its listed as a SVT f150 lightning. Its all up to the insurance company. I dont know how anybody could do a workaround when you gotta give up your vin unless you did a Lightning guts swap into a regular 6 or 8 f150 which seems like an ever so popular past time with the wrecked L owners club:bash:

Black02SVTL

#746 of 4726
Established Member
I think it depends on your insurance company. I know mine views my L as a f-150. I think when you insure it you should just call and give them your VIN, and dont elaborate on how badass your truck is.

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
Depends on your VIN and the insuring company; Geico and Progressive know what a Lightning is so your insurance will rise up. State Farm has them listed as Heritage F-150 so you would pay what an F-150 would pay.

There's a bunch of companies that list them as F-150, just get a quote from your agent.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Farm Bureau had mine listed as a regular F-150. Fleet insurance $900 yearly ftmfw.

fishingfox

Established Member
USAA listed mine as a F-150 in my policy and I thought I was getting away with something. When I called in a glass claim, the USAA rep said " Oh wow! You have a Lightining. They are so nasty."

Busted!

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
USAA listed mine as a F-150 in my policy and I thought I was getting away with something. When I called in a glass claim, the USAA rep said " Oh wow! You have a Lightining. They are so nasty."

Busted!

I have USAA too, they knew as soon as I gave them the VIN is was an SVT. They must like you a lot, not to charge you the extra $ at first.

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
I have Allstate, and it comes up as Reg Cab F150.

its funny that the insurance on the L is cheaper than if you looked at a mustang GT... which is much, much slower.

-Sean

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Thanks guys, so it depends on the insurance company..I'll just have to call and get a quote.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
My insurance is USAA. They listed mine as an F-150 SVT Lightning as soon as i gave them the VIN #. I'v been with them since 1974 so they gave me a brake and beside's I'm an old fart.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I have liberty mutual and it just shows up as a regular F150 Single Cab. 1500 for full coverage, rental car reimbursement, and roadside assistance and I'm 20 years old.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Yeah I have farmers as well and it list it as a SVT F-150 Lightning, but I pay less than $100 a month so I don't care. It's good to be over 25 and a clean driving record.

Users who are viewing this thread