Question for you electrical guys

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now (probably over thinking like an engineer :-D) but need other opinions

I moved the battery to the rear end with the RuSlow battery tray (2nd gen version, powder coating came out awesome, no rust spots, and welds look really nice) but wanted to clean up the wiring of all my accessories

I was wondering if I put a fused distribution block if it would carry enough volts to power my electric fans, electric water and I/C pump, H/E fans, and etc

Was thinking about this:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html

Junction Box
Stud Type Junction Box73800
Stud Type Junction Box
Molded cover and housing are designed to be corrosion resistant. Includes five open grommets, five closed grommets, and necessary hardware. Junction box has seven #10-32 studs molded into the box. Box mounting holes are 7-3/8" on center.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The size of wiring determines the voltage drop (if any) you'll have. The links you posted show only an index and not a specific product. You need to make sure the components are rated to handle the amount of amperage that will pass through them and not the voltage. :thumbsup:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
do yourself a favor and use large guage welding cable when you run your battery leads both positive and negative! and by large guage i mean 0g if you can get it.

Lightningfr

Banned
size of wiring has nothing to do with a voltage drop...

only way you can lose voltage is if you have a bad connection

wire size is important because of current flow make sure you dont use small wires....this is the most important

you can run as many things as you want as long as your have an alternator with enuff capacity and your links dont show any specific products

i browsed the site a little and i couldnt find anything that would be able to handle what you want it to do.. :shrug: maybe i missed it

Last edited:

todd abbott

Established Member
The awnser to your question depends on what your trying to run, I won't get into it but there's a very simple formula for voltage drop, to that you can add resistance but were only talking a max of what a 20 foot run, voltage drop really shouldn't be an issue, your total draw will be, you need to total out the items voltage draw a rest and well as max draw, only then will you know where to start.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I would run a 1/0 gauge wire to the front and then break into the distribution block. Its better to run one large cable for longer runs and small gauge wire for short runs. Also, solder all your connections... a bad connection will kill your amp draw.

Lightningfr

Banned
The awnser to your question depends on what your trying to run, I won't get into it but there's a very simple formula for voltage drop, to that you can add resistance but were only talking a max of what a 20 foot run, voltage drop really shouldn't be an issue, your total draw will be, you need to total out the items voltage draw a rest and well as max draw, only then will you know where to start.

your talking about Kirchhoff's law V= I*R its useless for this application

your very right about the max and min current draw though thats the most important

Last edited:

wayboarder

Established Member
seeing that its a parallel distribution box, each load will see the same voltage. And yes the kirchoffs law works for the application, the wire is considered a load due to I squared R losses, but a very minimum load unless a massive rung of wire is used.

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
Talk about over engineering!

Kirchhoff's law #1 states that the voltage changes around a closed path in a circuit add up to zero, where the voltage change DV = emf in going through a battery from - terminal to + terminal is considered to be positive, and the voltage change DV = I R in going through a resistor in the assumed direction of the current I is considered to be negative.

Kirchhoff's law #2 states that the sum of the currents entering any node (i.e., any junction of wires) equals the sum of the currents leaving that node.

Just go to your local welding shop and get some single "0"
welding wire. It will provide less resistance, and is less susceptible to heat problems. It will be just one less thing to worry about in the future. And yes it will make a difference when starting the truck.

And +1 on soldering all the connections.

Charlie

Last edited:

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
V=I*R is not KVL. the correct name is Ohm's law.
not trying to be an a** sorry if i came off that way.

Users who are viewing this thread