Question for Tx gun owners..

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
I turn 21 on the 19th and plan on buying my first legal pistol, i built 3 ar15's this fall and my dad/me have a few sigs that he lets me shoot but im wondering how i can go about getting a pistol on my bday. i am a Canadian citizen with a permanent resident card(green card) i have no felonies or anything on my record etc.. will i be able to walk into the gun shop pick out the gun and wait my 3 days or can i not buy a gun since im not a citizen?
i plan on taking my ccw class sometime this spring and buying a few more guns this year before obama really ****s things up, until then i just want a solid pistol for my car and house, i live deep in the hood and i would feel safer carrying.
im looking at sigs, xd40, some 1911's, glocks, and a few hk's, on my bday im taking a trip to the new local indoor range/gun shop and im gonna shoot everything im interested in. what would yall recommend?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Im not certain about Texas, but in Alabama theres no waiting period. Just walk in, say what you want, fill out some paperwork and they call someone and you're done.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
Im not certain about Texas, but in Alabama theres no waiting period. Just walk in, say what you want, fill out some paperwork and they call someone and you're done.

i dont really care if theres a waiting period and i feel that there should be one for first time handgun buyers, im more worried about the fact that im a canadian citizen, can i still buy a gun here? ive never looked into it before.

txyaloo

Established Member
Texas has no waiting period for handgun purchases nor AFAIK is there a state prohibition on resident aliens purchasing firearms. Federal law says you must have lived in Texas for 90 consecutive days prior to the purchase.

When you fill out your form 4473, pay special attention to the list of questions at the bottom. One specifically asks if you are a legal immigrant. Answer no to that since your green card makes you a legal resident.

ATF FAQ on the issue:
ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

Ghostrider02gt

Established Member
^^^ yea be careful about those questions on the form, they can mess you up. My vote goes to Glock. I have a 24C and I bought and brought it home the day I laid eyes on one

txyaloo

Established Member
^^^ yea be careful about those questions on the form, they can mess you up. My vote goes to Glock. I have a 24C and I bought and brought it home the day I laid eyes on one

There's one at the bottom that always trips me up. It specifically says to skip if it doesn't apply to you. I'm normally on autopilot checking no all the way down and not paying attention. :lol:

Ghostrider02gt

Established Member
There's one at the bottom that always trips me up. It specifically says to skip if it doesn't apply to you. I'm normally on autopilot checking no all the way down and not paying attention. :lol:

Werd. Did that on my third or fourth purchase. Needless to say I won't be doing that again.

OP, are you buying from an overpriced store or on the interwebz like gunbroker.com or summitgunbroker.com...? You'll need an FFL agent for the latter, just in case you did not know.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
ive been surfing gunbroker but one of my fraternity brothers uncles owns the new indoor range/gun shop and he is an ffl dealer, i just havent ever talked to him yet and im at my parents house in arkansas until tomorrow when i go back to school.

thank you all! i will be shopping and asking questions on here for the next few weeks, check back in this thread for more questions/ pics of my final purchase, i may try to go to a range in fort smith today since ive got my ar pistol with me, maybe they'll let me shoot some handguns

txyaloo

Established Member
ive been surfing gunbroker but one of my fraternity brothers uncles owns the new indoor range/gun shop and he is an ffl dealer, i just havent ever talked to him yet and im at my parents house in arkansas until tomorrow when i go back to school.

thank you all! i will be shopping and asking questions on here for the next few weeks, check back in this thread for more questions/ pics of my final purchase, i may try to go to a range in fort smith today since ive got my ar pistol with me, maybe they'll let me shoot some handguns

Most ranges have free rentals as long as you use their ammunition. Also ask your brother's uncle if he will sell to you for cost + 10%. If not, move on and order off the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread