Question for track junkies

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I was just wondering, I've read about how some of you are running 11's on stock tires etc and even seen back to back 11sec vids... Just how many people are modifying thier cars to conform to track regulations as they get faster. The tech nazis always check my car and I've seen others get kicked off the track for diving too fast so I have my d/s loop etc. So my question boils down to: Are you going once and quiting, going to tracks that don't have tech inspections or quietly putting the mandated roll cages in your cars? :shrug:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
No cage for me....never will.....I put down my best numbers before the weather got hot and rainy...and now I will just enjoy my Cobra and go back and rip legal numbers or close to them...either testing the starting line..or pooring it on top end to see how things are. It does stink that our cars are so easy to get in the 11's. If thats the worst of our probs...then I guess we are pretty well set.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Irwindales...pretty relaxed.
Helmet Required under 8.5sec.
Cage Required under 7.5sec....but the SS Camero didnt get pulled over for it.

Tech Inspection they dont even look under the car....but sucks that its only a 1/8 track. :(

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Whats the point of an 1/8 mile anyway...Nobody ever really looks or seems to care about what your car can do in 660 feet...What does it really offer that you cannot find on any old wide open road besides the risk of not receiving a ticket. Just my two cents

-pete:coolman:

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrapete03'
Whats the point of an 1/8 mile anyway...Nobody ever really looks or seems to care about what your car can do in 660 feet...What does it really offer that you cannot find on any old wide open road besides the risk of not receiving a ticket. Just my two cents

Get to practice short times....and banging 2 or 3 gears....but thats about it....I do prefer 1/4 miles tracks. But some people just dont have any near by. I have 2 1/4 mile tracks each about 45 minutes away.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrapete03'

1/4 mile track 1hr 45 min
1/8 mile track 15min

Ive dropped to sub 2.0 60' by practice at the 1/8th. My interstate allows me to strech my legs quite well:)

jason

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
CobraPete...dont think id miss 4th gear but what the 1/8 is great for is learning to bring the 60' times...which usually makes ur time or kills it. Plus a simple calculation u can estimate what ur 1/4 times would be.

SoCal.....how fast are u running now that they are bitchen to you about?

Going under 7.5 on the 8th & requiring a roll cage 1/4 times would be around 11.6 - 11.9?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I'm shooting for low twelve quarter mile times in the future. That's quick enough for a daily driver...I think...I know I don't want a roll bar.

Anyone know if when they kick you off is it just for that night? Or are you black balled for good? :??:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I really liked going to the track and running 11's. Finally got caught. It's more a daily driver to me than something I would cut up for a roll cage. I'm not going to say "never" but I can't imagine changing my mind. It's depressing. These cars are not some shop built bucket of bolts. The car is as smooth as silk at 120+ mph. How can something like a bike or snowmobile be allowed to run 9's and a factory produced car be prevented from running 11's without a roll cage?

I'm thinking those rules were put in place when it did take a shop built car to run those kind of times and the rules made sure the shop did it right. I don't have a problem with that. But to apply the same rule to a brand new factory produced car falls flat on it's face IMO.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
KWLadyka....thats what HotRodHarry been saying. Our cars are so much better then before so shouldnt they just change some of the rules?

Even @ 140mph car feels great. Were going on a straight line VS Hairpins or S Turns....?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
KWLadyka....thats what HotRodHarry been saying. Our cars are so much better then before so shouldnt they just change some of the rules?

I would like to see if there is a way to lobby for a change for factory cars that retain the stock chassis configuration. It makes sense to me and I'm sure to many others. I don't know however, I use to be the Chief of the Appellate Division for criminal appeals in this state. I know how some rules never seem to change no matter how ridiculous they are. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to practice law any more. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind arguing this issue in the appropriate venue wherever that might be.

Technology is only going to make factory cars even faster and technology makes these cars safer than they have ever been. The only choice people will have is to race them on the street. It's good public policy to change the rules for factory cars. Geez! I'm already thinking of my closing argument!

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Like PoisnousMods said...this has been an issue with me for some time. I know where you are coming from. I especially like your snowmobile and motorcyle comparison. Aint it the truth. We do need to lobby somehow. Modern Day Performance cars and trucks are quite abit different than what came out of Detroit years ago .....they need to rethink some of their rules.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Originally posted by KWladyka
I really liked going to the track and running 11's. Finally got caught. It's more a daily driver to me than something I would cut up for a roll cage. I'm not going to say "never" but I can't imagine changing my mind. It's depressing. These cars are not some shop built bucket of bolts. The car is as smooth as silk at 120+ mph. How can something like a bike or snowmobile be allowed to run 9's and a factory produced car be prevented from running 11's without a roll cage?

I'm thinking those rules were put in place when it did take a shop built car to run those kind of times and the rules made sure the shop did it right. I don't have a problem with that. But to apply the same rule to a brand new factory produced car falls flat on it's face IMO.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Harry....arent you getting picked on since ur running in the 10's at times?

Drive Shaft Loops is still a good idea to have....just in case the its breaks.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
I did 11.25 at 125.85 once and made sure the techs saw me go low 12's and high 11's next time out....one tech guy at E town really got on my sh*t last time. He was ok by the end of the day seeing I was practicing hole shots or topend charges in 3rd and 4th. I havnt been back since...the weather hasnt helped. That was without juice...so with the 40-50 shot I am sure the car would be in the 10's. I am thinking the car on a nice cool day ,in the fall, might make ten 10.99ish. I need to get that aftercooler setup Nitrous Pete has to keep the blower cool. I just am such a stickler for keeping her looking original though.

I will keep the car around the 11.80 to 12.00 to keep techs happy. But I dont go to the track too much. I need to get my car to a dyno on a nice cool day. Thats my next thing to do.

Edit: You are right..its a very cool idea to get the loop. I will have to do that soon.

HotRod(never a rollcage for me)Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Harry....arent you getting picked on since ur running in the 10's at times?

Drive Shaft Loops is still a good idea to have....just in case the its breaks.

Last edited:

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
I refuse to put a rollcage in my car. In fact I hate even wearing a helmet. I got kicked off last week after running my 12.39, of course I also broke my belt (running on 7 ribs), so it was probably god telling me to stop racing before I do more damage.

Users who are viewing this thread