Question for those with MGW shifter, how much louder is it than stock?

BNH4.6

Established Member
I bought a Pro 5.0 about 3 months ago but sent it back because the dang thing was so noisy in 5th and 6th gears. 1st-4th was no different from the other shifters I have had in t-45's and 3650's(Pro 5.0, Steeda), but there was a loud whine in 5th and 6th at any speed above 50 mph. I just ordered the MGW shifter and the cobra bob gasket last night; I have had it with this rubber noodle stock shifter. My factory shifter is even noisy in 6th at around 75-80 mph, how close is the noise level to factory with the MGW and the gasket setup? By the way I can't wait to try this shifter out after all the awsome reviews it has gotten; I came close to getting a Steeda at fun ford but I waited till I got home to order the MGW.

Thanks

BNH4.6

Established Member
Thanks I can stand that or a little louder since the shifter will be much better. I did not have the little plastic basket thing on the ball of my factory shifter nor was it in the trans do you think that may be causing the noisy trans?

BNH4.6

Established Member
sweet good to hear, but does anyone know about the plastic basket issue mentioned above?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
go with the new MGW, there's a rubber gromet that seals the shifter at the boot to help even filter more noise. I don't know when they started it, but mine came with it (ordered it last month) but my friends did not have it (from 2004)

BadAzztt

Established Member
That plastic basket is a must have. Not only will it eliminate noise but without it you will add slop to your shifter and have a metal on metal issue. Get a new one from ford.

Hye

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
go with the new MGW, there's a rubber gromet that seals the shifter at the boot to help even filter more noise. I don't know when they started it, but mine came with it (ordered it last month) but my friends did not have it (from 2004)

can this be installed on mine?

mine is definitely louder than stock, but i have one of the original mgw's...can i upgrade to this rubber grommet thing?

Users who are viewing this thread