Question for those with K&N FIPK

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
The K&N FIPK II was my first mod to the Cobra; Excellent choice :thumbsup: I've been very happy with the results.

But it's the third time that the sm twist bracket's screw that is on the inner fender gets loose and it makes an annoying sound you can hear inside the car when driving.

Today I removed that bracket because I think it' doesn't do too much on holding the filter in place.

Do I really need that braket??

Here are some pics so you know which parts I'm referring to.

SM Twist Bracket:
Cnv0055.gif

Where the bracket goes:
Cnv0057.gif

Last edited:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I think it's needed, yes. What I did was put an extra long screw in there back when I had the FIPK. You could always put a bolt with a nut on it if you want to stop it for good.

Mine came out all the time and I finally got tired and layed the smack down on it.

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Ok i have the FIPK II WITH A 95MAF AND WITH ALL THAT IT IS A TIGHT FIT. So i didnt need the bracket, but i put it on anyway here is my pic

914b44c2.jpg

-Cory

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
jdk said:
I think it's needed, yes. What I did was put an extra long screw in there back when I had the FIPK. You could always put a bolt with a nut on it if you want to stop it for good.

Mine came out all the time and I finally got tired and layed the smack down on it.

How do you get the bolt with a nut on it?

Remember that the hole in the inner fender didn't came with the car, we had to drill in order to insert the screw.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I figured you would be able to get your hand back there and get a nut on.. I have not had the FIPK for a long time so maybe I'm wrong :burnout:

jk03cobra

Established Member
Ditch the bracket all together. You will find many on here that will agree I'm sure. This discussion went on a few times last year and it seemed the general opinion was that it is not needed. I've gone without it for 10,000 miles now and not a single problem with the setup.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I really think that the bracket is not needed.

It's a tight fit without it because the "L" cover is attached to the radiator. So the filter is not hanguin.

jk03cobra

Established Member
WhiteSnake74 said:
I really think that the bracket is not needed.

It's a tight fit without it because the "L" cover is attached to the radiator. So the filter is not hanguin.

You are correct. The radiator bolt holds it just fine.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
people afraid of the drill bit are goofy. you can always weld a hole shut.

WhiteSnake74 said:
Thanks jk03cobra. Great thread. Do you know why they closed it?

Too bad I drilled the inner fender; It wasn't necessary after all. Now I have an extra hole in my car. :fm: On the positive side, less weight :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread