Question for those that work out on a regular basis

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
Seems like everytime I do chest and/or should exercises, my shoulders are killing me when I finish. In the center of the shoulder, the joint. I'm coming back from a long time off of lifting. Back when I used to lift, I don't remember this pain I feel now. Do you think that my shoulders just need to be conditioned to handle the weight agian? Can you suggest some good excersies I could do for my chest to minimalize this strain? Do you think I need to consult my phisician? Thanks in advance.

2001blkR

Established Member
Your joints and tendons are not used to that kind of stress anymore. Go easy for a while with full motion reps at a lighter weight. And maybe try chest flys instead of straight benching. And also try some omega acids (ie fish oil pills)

91hatch

Established Member
yes i know exactly where your coming from. i was doing shoulder presses the other week and my shoulder poped and hurt like hell. Since then i usually do some rotator cup excersises to start off with. Just try and warm your shoulders up before going heavy weight thats what i usually do and havent had any problems since

logan_yomtov

Established Member
sounds like you need to take a break for a week or so, so your muscles and tendons can recover. Eat a lot of protein during this time.
in a week you should feel fine and lifting that weight will feel easier than ever, trust me.
if this doesn't work, you might have torn something and need much more time off to recover(go see a doctor) before you seriously injur yourself.

2003 Silver

Banned
How old are you...that could go a long way in determining what is causing the pain.

I'm guessing it's rotator...only because that is exactly how/where my pain was. Mine is finally starting to feel better after a few months off of barbell benching (flat and incline), dips and heavy militaries. I switched to dumbells and other complementary exercises and am still going to lay off barbells for another month or so to be safe.

Good luck...shoulders can be a real bitch to get back to normal as they require taking time off and switching up your routine big time.

94-Cobra

Established Member
I am going through some Rotator Cuf tendonitis right now. Google for some rotator cuff exercises in order to strengthen the muscles of the rotator cuff.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Make sure you stretch really well before and after lifting heavy. Sounds like your body is not used to the full range of motion. Start taking in more protein and Glutamine from GNC

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I can relate some experience that I had, maybe it will help...

I had been working out for quite awhile when my shoulder began to hurt. When I would bench, it felt like a sharp pinch or something at the joint. Went to a doctor and then a physical therapist - the verdict was that I had over developed my pectoral muscles (and deltoids) relative to my rotator cuff muscles. What was happening was that the rotator cuff muscles were not able to fully stabilize the joint when I would strongly contract my pecs during a bench press, allowing the head of the humerus to press and grind up against the cavity in the scapula.

So, the fix was to work out the rotator cuff muscles specifically - something that was not happening sufficiently during regular pec and shoulder routines. The muscles aren't horribly strong on their own (as far as I know) so they don't need huge amounts of weight. I used strong elastic bands and low weight combined with high repetition.

Wintermute

Banned
Stretching is useless if you aren't warmed up. Either do some cardio, or do something that doesn't bother your shoulders (for me thats straight biceps curls and legs) that still gets you warmed up, then stretch, then lift. And when it comes to connective tissue, pain isn't gain, it's injury.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Start taking in more protein and Glutamine from GNC
Please don't support GNC.
Try this, you can search for the lower priced items and still get a quality item: http://bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

Take Glucosamine regularly, and back off on the weights. If you just started back, work with light weight to begin with, and gradually progress foward. This isn't about building strength so much, but about building form and muscle memory for proper form.
If you are lifting too heavy and with bad form, your not only going to limit your long term results by achieving poor results for the amount of work you put in (and more importantly the amount of pain you endure), but you could likely suffer some severely debilitating injuries which will completely halt and even reverse progress without the ability to EVER progress back again.
I know a guy now, a trainer who can never do another benchpress because he railed his shoulder.
Make sure you stretch really well before and after lifting heavy. Sounds like your body is not used to the full range of motion
Do that please.
sounds like you need to take a break for a week or so, so your muscles and tendons can recover.
Do that also... don't lift again till you can do it without strain or pain. You need a fresh start. If you find you are unable to lift without symptoms, see a doctor immediately.

TORCH_RED said:
Seems like everytime I do chest and/or should exercises, my shoulders are killing me when I finish. In the center of the shoulder, the joint. I'm coming back from a long time off of lifting. Back when I used to lift, I don't remember this pain I feel now. Do you think that my shoulders just need to be conditioned to handle the weight agian? Can you suggest some good excersies I could do for my chest to minimalize this strain? Do you think I need to consult my phisician? Thanks in advance.

Did you just start lifting again last week? How would you describe the pain? Are you confusing this for muscle soreness or lactic acid buildup?

As you get conditioned again, the soreness subsides. But with some intense shoulder workouts I get lactic acid buildup towards the end of the workout that sometimes makes one shoulder pretty painful for an hour and then subsides later on.

More details please.

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
To answer a few questions, I'm 23. I just started lifting again a month or so ago. I lifted all though highschool and was on the varsity power lifting team so I know all the proper techniques. I'm probably 98% sure this pain I'm feeling is not muscle soreness or lactic acid buildup. Thanks to Cobra03 for posting up the link on rotator cuff excersises. Those will be incorporated A.S.A.P. As far as warming up before I start lifting, I run/job a minimum of 30 minutes to start things off with. Thanks again

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
Since we're on the topic of lifting weights, what are your guys favorite songs to jam to while lifting? Audioslaves new CD seems to do the trick for me currently.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Sounds like deltoid or rotator cuff tendonitis. Try some Naproxen/Aleve or Ibuprofen/Advil, deep tissue massage it in the shower, ice the hell out of it, and pick up a book by Mark Verstagen called "Core Performance"--there are four shoulder "prehab" exercises in it that will help you greatly. If after a few weeks of the above regimen there is no improvement, go to your Dr. and if he finds it is in fact tendonitis, tell him you want Celebrex.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Celebrex is not indicated for tendonitis. Celebrex is a COX-2 Inhibitor designed to control the pain and inflammation associated with Osteoarthritis. Otherwise his advice is right on.

Users who are viewing this thread