Question for the Roll Race guys

devilish64

Established Member
Hello! my car has 750+ rwhp and a 4.10 gear... long story short.. I rarely go to the strip and find myself more into roll racing recently. as of now i have been using tire height to make up for the gearing when I feel like roll racing but i think i have the tallest possible tire on the car(325-45-18 hoosier drag radial 29.9" tall) and i still feel like i am always a gear up from the guy next to me because of the 4.10's... and in no time I am in 5th gear and im done. i was told the other day that my effective gear ratio with the tire height is 3.68. Using those numbers, switching to a 3.73 will put me at an effective gear ratio of 3.31 and 3.55's would put me in the neighborhood of 3.13 wich seems rediculous for such a heavy car. I'm curious what you roll race guys would do in my position. 3.73 sound like the smarter choice but I'd like to see if anyone else has an opinion. THANKS, Chad

brandonflood123

Established Member
Hello! my car has 750+ rwhp and a 4.10 gear... long story short.. I rarely go to the strip and find myself more into roll racing recently. as of now i have been using tire height to make up for the gearing when I feel like roll racing but i think i have the tallest possible tire on the car(325-45-18 hoosier drag radial 29.9" tall) and i still feel like i am always a gear up from the guy next to me because of the 4.10's... and in no time I am in 5th gear and im done. i was told the other day that my effective gear ratio with the tire height is 3.68. Using those numbers, switching to a 3.73 will put me at an effective gear ratio of 3.31 and 3.55's would put me in the neighborhood of 3.13 wich seems rediculous for such a heavy car. I'm curious what you roll race guys would do in my position. 3.73 sound like the smarter choice but I'd like to see if anyone else has an opinion. THANKS, Chad
i know that here there is a couple 700+ hp cars here and a good friend of mine has 3.73's and he's wanting to do 3.55's with his set up. gears are longer but the power makes up for it. i have 3.55's in my car and i love them.

builttodrive

Established Member
This is just my 2 cents. My car is making around 700 whp... I was close on a previous tune and this curent tune should have me there but need to dyno to confirm. Anyway I have 3.73's and approximately a 27" tall tire and I often think if I changed my gear ratio I would go to 3.55's and now way would I consider 4.10's

Joewee500

Established Member
I swapped out 4.10s for 3.55s. I have a 27" tall tire and still bust loose on a 40mph hit on some roads. 60 rolls I have zero issues and it's just 1 shift from 60-140ish.

devilish64

Established Member
Hey Jowee500.... we have very similar mods except I have a 1320junkie ported trinity TVS. even have the same shitty headers:nonono:. do you mind telling what your car dyno'd after you switched to the GEN2? can you explain how the car feels after the swap compared to when it had the 4.10's? i have had the gears for so long now I am used to the ability to spin the tires at will in the first 3 gears.... and frankly the car is fun as hell. I dont want to make it harder to drive or Lazy but I think the longer gears would also be fun and putting power to the ground should be slightly easier.

jazz

Established Member
I think 3.73s would be perfect for your car... Dont think u would like th 3.55s lol

Speedboosted

Established Member
Hey Jowee500.... we have very similar mods except I have a 1320junkie ported trinity TVS. even have the same shitty headers:nonono:. do you mind telling what your car dyno'd after you switched to the GEN2? can you explain how the car feels after the swap compared to when it had the 4.10's? i have had the gears for so long now I am used to the ability to spin the tires at will in the first 3 gears.... and frankly the car is fun as hell. I dont want to make it harder to drive or Lazy but I think the longer gears would also be fun and putting power to the ground should be slightly easier.

Why don't you like the JBA headers? I think they're fine, but it's Steve's old set back when they were American made.

As for gears, 3.73 would be fine if you're going to keep that big tire. If you ever go back to a more normal 28" tire, 3.55 or even 3.31 should be considered. But without any doubt, get these gears (in your ratio of choice). http://www.weirracing.com/product/weir-racing-low-friction-8-8-gear-and-bearing-set-s197/

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
What speed are you looking for at the big end? Typically, you want to gear to be at the top of 4th. My 30" tires and a 3.73 gear got me to 145 MPH at 6,500 rpm or less. I had to change from 410's to avoid the loss of shifting into 5th or letting off because I'd hit the rev limiter. My signature video shows 3.73 gears on stock motor pass.

devilish64

Established Member
So I wound up going with a 3.55 and am really happy with the results. Car can hit nearly 160mph in 4th gear... can cruise easily at 80mph and is just an all around funner car to drive. Although I do miss being able to do rolling burnouts with ease.... the car is actually able to use the power it has on the street. I would honestly say I gained 90% better traction vs 4.10 gears. I can now put power down in every gear. Thanks again guy!

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member

I don't have numbers after the swap. It was 700whp on a mustang dyno with KB at 19lbs. It has 2 lbs more peak boost and 4lbs more average. The car feels much stronger. The car was manageable with the 4.10s and kenne bell but hit way too hard with the Gen2. My logs show at least couple tenths quicker 60-130 by comparison with 3.55s vs 4.10s. From a dig I can't give a great comparison because I swapped shocks and springs at the same time as gears. Hot tires and I can almost plant 1st.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
So I wound up going with a 3.55 and am really happy with the results. Car can hit nearly 160mph in 4th gear... can cruise easily at 80mph and is just an all around funner car to drive. Although I do miss being able to do rolling burnouts with ease.... the car is actually able to use the power it has on the street. I would honestly say I gained 90% better traction vs 4.10 gears. I can now put power down in every gear. Thanks again guy!

you kept the 29+" tire?

Joewee500

Established Member
I figured you'd like the car better. You can actually use 1st gear. Have you ran in the 1/4? I'm interested in how comparable cars run at the track since I can't seem to make it to one.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
I'm a big time roll racer, i typically run 60-160, and i run 3.55"s and love them, it's a great all around gear. i make north of 1100 on boost only, so i typically start in 3rd gear and run 4th out to 160 at 7000rpm, i run the 275/50/15 Radial pro tire on my rear drag set-up normally, but just swapped to the new ET street R 305/45/18 so that i can run my 18" CCW's instead of the 15's, they are working out pretty damn good so far.

i typically start my runs in 3rd gear but if i am racing something really fast and need some jump out power i will start in 2nd, but only if on a concrete road cause anything else and it will just spin.

here is a vid i did on a blacktop road starting in 3rd gear, 60-160
[video]https://youtu.be/_1SI6P0txY8[/video]

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
/\ skip to 2:00 for the pull

FNO - any vbox times for your 60-130?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm a big time roll racer, i typically run 60-160, and i run 3.55"s and love them, it's a great all around gear. i make north of 1100 on boost only, so i typically start in 3rd gear and run 4th out to 160 at 7000rpm, i run the 275/50/15 Radial pro tire on my rear drag set-up normally, but just swapped to the new ET street R 305/45/18 so that i can run my 18" CCW's instead of the 15's, they are working out pretty damn good so far.

i typically start my runs in 3rd gear but if i am racing something really fast and need some jump out power i will start in 2nd, but only if on a concrete road cause anything else and it will just spin.

here is a vid i did on a blacktop road starting in 3rd gear, 60-160
[video]https://youtu.be/_1SI6P0txY8[/video]

Damn your car rolls out, you have 4.0L KB?

Users who are viewing this thread