question for the lightning guys

mike01svt

Established Member
what kind of numbers does a pullied and exhaust lightning put down.. this is purely for my own curiosity.

Yesterday i raced one with my car.. he had me from the stop to about 30.. then i left him behind.. it was just a fun race my car isnt tuned completely so i have no idea the numbers i have now. I am trying to compare what i was up against?

mike01svt

Established Member
thanks.. I dont know anything about them, so i have no clue what they put down.

it's a 5.4 with an eaton right?

G'sLightning

Established Member
Yup a 5.4 w/eaton......what do you have??.. Just curious. :beer: -Gary...o.k nevermind i guess i should of read your sig.

Last edited:

mike01svt

Established Member
thanks guys. As for the year, it looked VERY new.. not like SVTMan. It was Sonic Blue. As for my mods I have my 01 cobra, Vortech 9psi, magnaflow catback and X-pipe. with an SCT that I tuned myself. Timing is extremely conservative.13 degrees at 6500 rpm.

I havent had a chance to dyno it yet. last year with a 10.0:1 AFR i ran a 12.6@115. I am shooting for mid 11's now that I have it tuned right. but it isnt much of a drag car. IE no mods to help with traction. all stock except blower and exhaust.

mike01svt

Established Member
I am trying to find a picture of it.. it wasnt old at all. and I heard a whine like the 03 cobras.

mike01svt

Established Member
is there a way to tell the year.. like 99 and 01 cobras have different rear bumpers.. and spoilers..

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Different Grills, lights, etc. But a lot of older guys update to the newer stuff. Sonic blue would be 03 or 04.

mike01svt

Established Member
ok the color was sonic blue.. year had to have been a 2003 or newer..

cool, so the horsepower and torque are roughly 400rwhp/500rwtq for a pullied one with exahust/catback?

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
It all depends on what size pulley and what kind of tune he had done.I am sure if he changed the pulley he most likley had a tune.So it can be anywhere between 360rwhp-450rwhp ESTIMATED...some cases even higher.He could have put a 8lb pulley on the bottom and also changed the top one as well.If you knew what size pulley and what kind of tune he did we could give you a ball park figure.But its hard to give an estimate not knowing.Also I see your from Texas....The Lightnings tend to do alot worse in the heat and high humidity.Take care

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
brucewrs said:
He could have put a 8lb pulley on the bottom and also changed the top one as well.If you knew what size pulley and what kind of tune he did we could give you a ball park figure.

If he did that...chances are, he blew up his motor and that's why the Cobra went around him at about 30mph!!

Seems to me like he just did a 2.80 upper and exhaust which really wouldn't require a tune. That means that you basically beat up on a "stock" Lightning. Not taking away from your Cobra cause from your sig.....your not in a slow car either. :beer:

mike01svt

Established Member
SVTman75 said:
If he did that...chances are, he blew up his motor and that's why the Cobra went around him at about 30mph!!

Seems to me like he just did a 2.80 upper and exhaust which really wouldn't require a tune. That means that you basically beat up on a "stock" Lightning. Not taking away from your Cobra cause from your sig.....your not in a slow car either. :beer:

thanks for the info guys.. Next time i see the guy I will ask him what pulley he had. I dont "know" him, but he was cool and i asked what was done. He told me it had a pulley, and his dyno was 437rwhp. But i wanted to ask around first to see how accurate it was. I passed him around the top of first gear. he jumped ahead on the launch.. which i assume was cuz of the instant tq/hp. and about 40mph which is around my redline in 1st is when i started to pull ahead. 2nd gear is when i officially left him behind.

edit: just wanted to add, the lightning was by no means slow.. LOL I was worried for a sec, because whenever i race i usually just pull on em in 1st and pass em in 2nd and shut down at 80 LOL.. but when he was still right next to me, i was like wow.. not bad. I admit i was a tad worried.

Last edited:

kromdom

1KWKTRK
Established Member
Just came from a dyno & tune today for my '01 L (K&N FIPK, 4 lber, full exhaust, FTVB), tuned by Shawn Ellis (SoCal Diablo) using a predator: 388.2 rwhp/465 ft-lbs torque (SAE), 11.6 A/F, 16 deg timing (91 octane only)

Buddy of mine with an '02 L: 436rwhp 503ftlbs (6 lber, FTVB, JLP CAI, ported blower)

Pictures and dyno sheets here: http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=209663#post209663

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Romeo,

What exhaust do you have? BTW, your #'s look kind of low. Did you guys do any AFR datalogging?

-Martin

Lightning1

Established Member
We're with the awesome 91 octane. Numbers aren't all the best in the world, but certainly not bad on conservative tunes. Southern Cali for Kromdom and I.

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
I dyno'd right at 400/500 with CA pump gas and the same mods minus headers/cats.

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
If he's putting 437 to the ground....then you shouldn't have taken him so easily. Something's not right. he should be runnin mid 12's with ease.

The torque from these trucks are alot...but we can't exactly stomp it from the get go. I'm almost as stock as it gets and can easily burn it down well into second gear. Good kill none the less though.

Users who are viewing this thread