Question for Road Track/AutoX guys.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
I have a friend who's an absolute Europhile - Porsches, specifically. Cobra gets NO respect from him at all. His big gripe is it's track-worthiness (or lack thereof). I've already handed him his butt in argument after argument about $$ per horsepower, etc. and I know there are some track-worthy stangs and Cobras out there but realistically, how much modding does it take to compete with a 911 on a road track (excluding Fox-bodies)? Is there any comparison? I'm talking about bottom line, here - lap times.

I mean no disrespect, but please don't answer if you don't know what you're talking about :beer: . If you've never seen a road course - at least show me where you get your data - I'm interested in modding my car to compete on an amateur level. I'd especially like to hear from someone with experience racing Porsches.

BTW - I'm thinking about running the Autobahn Country Club with the Lotus Owners this year if they still have a slot open - it'll be my first road course. If the dealer is able to fix the Vibe in my car, I'll be even more likely to do it.

blue88mustang

Established Member
Your best bet will be to check out:
www.corner-carvers.com

There is a large # of Mustang guys over there that do nothing but AutoX/Road Race.

My suggestion:
www.maximummotorsports.com
Maximum Motorsports "Grip in a Box" should do the trick. It will run you several grand depending on what parts you get and whether or not you do the work yourself or pay to have it done. I have purchased a few parts from them in the past and the quality is top notch. A buddy of mine bought the K-member, coil overs, etc for Foxbody 5.0 and it went in very smoothly, not to mention looked very beefy compared to the D&D k-member that he was originally going to install.

The main parts to get would be:
Tubular K-member and A-arms (these will move the wheels forward about 1" allowing closer to 50/50 weight distribution)
Coil overs Front & Rear (This will shave somewhere around 100lbs +/-)
Full length Subframes (need a stiff chassis to keep your tires planted)
C/C plates (req'd for Coil overs)
Strut Tower brace

There are probably some more parts to get that are ultra important for an IRS equipped car, but I have only had my 03 for about 6 weeks so I am not completely familiar with the 03 specific parts.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I have seen an old fox body mustang pass a 99x porsche turbo at Gingerman. The mustang was heavily modified including SLA's up front (had to be running -6 camber). He is also a very good driver.

If you spend the price of a porsche on mustang mods than you might have a chance; unless the drivers are at totally different skill levels.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
porsches are crunchy and tasty with ketchup. porsche drivers are notorious jerks on the track who drive slow and dont point faster cars by.

if you see me in your mirrors its because im faster than you. let me past.

bring a lunch to autobahn. the food sucks and there's no restaurants near the place.

oh by the way my springs and shocks/struts are stock. you dont need any modifications to the suspension to smoke a porsche.

get yourself some braided brake hoses for all four corners, some brake cooling ducts, some track pads for the brakes, and a decent set of tires. on the road course its 90% driver (or maybe more). seat time and coaching is what makes a quick driver.

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
...snip...
get yourself some braided brake hoses for all four corners, some brake cooling ducts, some track pads for the brakes, and a decent set of tires. on the road course its 90% driver (or maybe more). seat time and coaching is what makes a quick driver.

+1
I had no mods on my 97 Cobra with stainless brake lines, some Hawk Pads (they went through two sets of rotors) and some Kuhmo VictoRacers and I had NOOO problems passing Porsches. If you're a decent driver with some seat time and have a good learning curve you should be fine.

Now go wipe his Euro-smile off his face when you tear past him on the straight. Ohhhh, the sweet sound of high RPM 4-cams. :pepper:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
...oh by the way my springs and shocks/struts are stock. you dont need any modifications to the suspension to smoke a porsche.

I'm surprised. This is good to hear. The only part I need to get out of the way is the learning curve, in that case and hopefully that won't be too big a problem (yeah, I know, everybody thinks they can drive).

SlowSVT

Established Member
I get the same level of respect from the Ducati owners on my Gamma 500 motorcycle (Very rare 86 square four 2 stroke Suzuki) even though I managed to smoke 90% on a backroads. What your trying to overcome is the snob/arrogence factor. These guys spend big dollars on a machine then stand around and reinforce their perspective on how superior there rides are to everyone else. Don't boother trying to convince them that there are other machines that are worthy competitors (call it the brick wall factor). To do that would send their egos crashing to the ground. If you beat them they will pretend it never happend and blank the experience from their mind and continue with the fantacy. I agree with shelbyguy that it's mostly rider/driver and has little to do with the machine in a road race type event. I've been smoked by guys on 250 2 strokes and was for a brief moment able to get a front row seat watching them do thier thing.

Get some practice and smoke your friend and his Porsche. Trust me he will never admit he was beat my a Rustang.

Good luck

RJCobra

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
porsches are crunchy and tasty with ketchup. porsche drivers are notorious jerks on the track who drive slow and dont point faster cars by.

if you see me in your mirrors its because im faster than you. let me past.

bring a lunch to autobahn. the food sucks and there's no restaurants near the place.

oh by the way my springs and shocks/struts are stock. you dont need any modifications to the suspension to smoke a porsche.

+1
Subframe connectors should also be considered

Users who are viewing this thread