Question for rear suspension guys

devilish64

Established Member
Hello! my car is a 2007 cut and welded Trinity tvs gt500 with 750+ rwhp, 4.10 gears (i know), bmr lower control arms (heim/poly), Steeda upper contol arm and bracket, fays 2 watts link and revan racing dead hooker springs with ride height adjusters. I am running a hoosier 325/45/18 drag radial (29.9" tall) to try and knock down the gearing a bit but i have the car jacked up really high in the back to fit the tires. My lower control arms are in the lowest hole in the control arm relocation brackets right now. Im just wondering if there is a such thing as TO MUCH instant center?? with the amount the car is raised in the back and still being in the bottom hole.... i dont think i could add any more instant center to the car if I tried. IT still spins the tires with ease in 2nd and part of third gear. The car is primarily for short cruising and drag racing.... but the constant spinning on the street is not all that fun. Any opinions are appreciated.... Thanks

devilish64

Established Member
IMG_1205.jpg

Unrealford

Established Member
I'd say pulley it down to get power more manageable for street,, then put pulley back on for strip. Get the quick change pulley setup,
What's your 60fts at the track.

Last edited:

devilish64

Established Member
1.57 60 ft is the best ive managed so far on 29-10.5W.... it Dead hooked at the track before i went E85 but I havent been back since

SirShaun

Established Member
You running adjustable rear shocks? They could help.

You need something to cushion the weight transfer, so it doesn't shock the tires instantly is my opinion. I noticed a difference on the stock goodyears with my viking double adjustable lol.

devilish64

Established Member
yeah i actually have those shocks and they are bad ass.... i forgot to say i had those. i think my gear is just to much for the power the car is making at this point.

Kevin P

Established Member
With those 29.9 inch tires, your "effective" gear ratio is the same as 3.68 would be with normal 26.9" tall tires. I don't think you have too much gear.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
If your rear suspension is actually lifted more than stock ride height, I would try using the highest hole on the LCA relo brackets or stock mounting location on the rear axle. For street use, your LCAs should be somewhere between parallel to the ground to 1-1/4" lower on the rear axle when compared to the forward body mount (angled downwards toward the rear of the car). I tinkered with the LCA relo bracket settings on my car and could feel the difference in traction and braking. With 1-5/8" lowering springs in the back of my car, the middle hole on my MM relo brackets work best for my application. Is your UCA angled up towards the front of your car?

jazz

Established Member
try bigger pulley or try a kenne bell:burnout:
nice pic tho:thumbsup:

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
Are you correcting the pinion angle with these adjustments, or is that what "instant center" means? Negative angle will soften the launch, reportedly. Under power the angle will correct itself to a more neutral angle. Might want to touch base with BMR. They already know the results of tweaking the set ups. Good luck,

Last edited:

devilish64

Established Member
im pretty sure that even in the highest hole in the relocation bracket i would still have a pretty good angle pointing down toward the axle. I think i'm gonna try and move them up to the top hole and see what happens. I wasnt sure if there was a such thing as "TOO MUCH" angle to the lower control arms. I might try and get in touch with the guys at bmr and see if they have any insight as far as pinion angle is concerned. THANKS GUYS... sorry for the shitty picture
KIMG0530.jpg

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
If your rear suspension is actually lifted more than stock ride height, I would try using the highest hole on the LCA relo brackets or stock mounting location on the rear axle. For street use, your LCAs should be somewhere between parallel to the ground to 1-1/4" lower on the rear axle when compared to the forward body mount (angled downwards toward the rear of the car). I tinkered with the LCA relo bracket settings on my car and could feel the difference in traction and braking. With 1-5/8" lowering springs in the back of my car, the middle hole on my MM relo brackets work best for my application. Is your UCA angled up towards the front of your car?

This is good advice.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my car up on ramps last night to change my oil and inspect everything under the car, so I snapped a couple of pictures of my rear upper and lower control arms.

My UCA is adjusted to give me a -2 degree pinion angle. It is also angled slightly lower in the front as compared to the rear attachment point on the differential. I could not get an angle finder up there, but if I were to guess, I would say it’s a 3-5 degree angle sloping down towards the front of the car.

UCA angle.jpg

My LCA rear attachment points are in the center holes on my MM relo brackets, and that gives me about a 3.5 degree angle sloping down towards the rear of the car, which is about a one inch difference in height between the chassis and axle end LCA mounting points. I am approaching 90% (+/-) anti-squat with my rear suspension settings, which is more oriented towards drag racing. For reference, dual purpose street/strip target anti-squat is 60%. My car hooks well on the street with these suspension settings and MPSS 295/35R19s in the rear.

LCA.jpg

LCA angle.jpg

I have spoken with Kelly at BMR and the guys at Maximum Motorsports and dialed my suspension in according to their recommendations for my application, and the result is traction :)

devilish64

Established Member
i switched to the upper most hole in the BMR relocation bracket and it did indeed still have a downward angle much closer to what you have SCGallo2. Traction seemed to be much better but i had a slight vibration which I assume is the pinion angle being a good amount off at this point. I have the car up on blocks right now so i can adjust that as soon as I can. I appreciate all the help.... this car is sooo much fun with traction in second gear. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread