question for LEOS

joec

Established Member
I just bought a car (well my parents bought the car, it's in their name, my credit wasn't good enough to get one). I am on my parents insurance policy, but I live an hour away from them. Right now I have temporary tags on it, but my parents went to the BMV (where they live, an hour away) and got my tags & registration the other day. There's one problem, my tags expire on the 20th of october (hey, today!). They're coming to visit this weekend and are bringing my tags down.

So here's my question:

Obviously if a police officer sees the tags, he's going to pull me over because they're expired. But am I going to get a ticket if I explain the situation? Is my car going to get impounded or anything of that nature because I have no registration and expired tags?

Or do police officers usually ignore temp tags if they are only expired for a few days?

input please? I need to know whether or not I should be driving this car to work. I don't want to get in too much trouble. I DO have insurance on the car and we have gotten the tags, just not put on yet.

Thanks ahead of time.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I know what I would do. But that doesnt mean that is what others would do. You are subject to having your vehicle impounded and you can be ticketed. I would not drive the vehicle until you get the plates. But, if you want to risk it, at least ask your parents what the plate number is. If you get pulled over you can explain the situation and give the officer the plate number so he can run it and verify your story.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I know what I would do. But that doesnt mean that is what others would do. You are subject to having your vehicle impounded and you can be ticketed. I would not drive the vehicle until you get the plates. But, if you want to risk it, at least ask your parents what the plate number is. If you get pulled over you can explain the situation and give the officer the plate number so he can run it and verify your story.

What he said.....

Get the new plate numbers and just have them handy. Tell the officer what you wrote here and have them run those numbers through dispatch or the MDT. When it comes up clear, valid, Im sure you will be let go. Most I would do is verify the VIN number to your new plates, tell you to get them on there ASAP, and let you go.

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
Wouldn't be towed in Ca. A registration check would show reg in progress. Off you go with a warning for expired tabs. Can't blame the r/o DMV for being slow. Parents? thats another story.

Users who are viewing this thread