Question for LEOs

joec

Established Member
Ok. This is a pretty serious question, and i would like to know the best way to go about doing it. I'll start from the beginning. My girlfriend and I moved into this apartment complex last march. Our neighbor, who lives right across the courtyard, has a small daughter, probably about 6 years old. She is constantly drinking alcohol (and i know this for a fact, i see her drinking every evening). One of our friends moved into the apartment right above her, and she has PERSONALLY seen 2 grown men crawling out of the 6 year olds window on several occasions. This just looks suspicious in itself. And just last week we were sitting in the courtyard and we both witnessed the little girl running out of the front door with about 5 belts in her hand, she was screaming and she threw all the belts in the pool saying "i dont want you to use these on me anymore". So many things have happened, and I don't know the best way to go about things. You can constantly hear screaming and things hitting the wall from the apartment that the little girl lives in. I know I should probably call the police, but I don't want my name mentioned, and I don't want to jump to conclusions. What would you recommend doing? Calling the police? or calling child protective services? The lady is obviously going to deny everything, and none of the neighbors are going to say anything to the police about it (because they all know the lady really well).

Just some information would be nice.

Thanks in advance

jshen

Established Member
Yes And Yes

This is an important matter! Call police AND child protective services. You may be able to do so without giving your name but it would sure help if you did. I see far more abused children than I ever care to think about and the situation you described is too typical in my business. I handle these types of cases and they are very, very serious.

Protective services & police would investigate and if ANY of what you've said is corroborated...child goes into protective custody...while investigation takes place.

Please, for the child's sake call!

Lawman85

Banned
Sorry, here is my soap box.....

You are witnessing child abuse but you are afraid to give your name?? This is why these things happen, because people don't want to get involved. I have investigated several such calls and no one likes talking to the police. We knock on the neighbor's doors and either no one answers or they say, "I don't want to get involved". This is part of being an adult and a contributing member of society.

Why are you afraid of having your name attached to the saving of a 6 year old? It could be your statement or testimony in court that actually gets the case won. You have done the right thing by taking notice, now do the next step and get involved with stopping it. Call the police, meet with them, file a report. They will turn it over to childred services.

I think FordSVTFan's sig fits this situation perfectly:
"Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to get you to realize the seriousness of the situation and that sometimes you have to get involved to help people in need.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
If you want to make sure something happens about it, call Both Police and Protective Services, then call the non-emergency numbers as well.

Call the Police in your jurisdiction and just tell them you want to remain anonymous and they should. Granted they will have you on Caller ID and what not but with a Child in danger, they will not care. If you live in the City and have City PD that answers to your 911 call, promptly call the Sheriff’s dept’s non-emergency number that you live in and tell them too. Cover all your bases. No cop I know will ever take a reported case of child lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread