Question for LEOs regaurding recordings

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I've been thinking. Occasionally I'll rear about someone who seemingly doesn't do anything wrong (and I too have had this happen, as driver and a passenger) where the officer pulls me(or us) over and then accuses us of things/uses offensive language etc. If by chance this happens again what is the policy (if there is such a thing, even if it varies county to county) on recording the stop on a digi cam or something. Is there a law against recording the "interaction" just in case something were to happen and have evidence of it?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I know of no law that would prevent a person from doing this. Most patrol these days have a recording system. I can say for a fact, it has squashed many a bogus, stupid ignorants complaints from the public.
I would be extremely careful on what you point towards an officer! There are a lot of things out there for sell that an officer could concieve a weapon is being pointed at him.
I remember stopping a van late at night and peering into it. I saw a "red dot" looking right back at me. As you could imagine that traffic stop didn't go very well! I did get there attention in a hurry.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
One issue is if you are recording the officers voice without his knowledge. If the camera is visible there would be notice to the officer he is being recorded. But, holding the camera would likely be a "no-no."

Therefore to avoid most problems the camera would need to be clearly visible and not being held by hand.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
One issue is if you are recording the officers voice without his knowledge. If the camera is visible there would be notice to the officer he is being recorded. But, holding the camera would likely be a "no-no."

Therefore to avoid most problems the camera would need to be clearly visible and not being held by hand.

Wow, civilian equipped dash cams. I think the ones in our patrol cars cost about 4 grand. :bash:

OP, this kinda stuff happen to you personally? I've never treated anyone like that I have stopped? You may want to have a talk with that Officers Supervisor. Try that route first. Unless you have that kind of money laying around to waste.

+100000 on don't be pointing things at the police.

Users who are viewing this thread