Question for LEOs concerning answering the door for a "cop".

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I recently started a job that keeps me away from home for days or weeks at a time. I worry about my wife & step-kids being alone. We live in a nice neighborhood, but you never know... My question is: If a cop knocks on the front door, can she call the local PD to verify that it's an officer at the door? This is in Georgia if it makes any difference.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
Not Leo but, just ask what department they're from, call non-emergency number verify.. They have to allow you to do that and should encourage that.. Makes people safer.

Same as if your being pulled over by an undercover, the local PD says if any question or worry if real UC call.. If it's not they'll dispatch pd immediately..

Great policies IMO.

u n v kenny

Established Member
Hmmm... We have City, County, Sheriff, and State all within a few miles.

More than likely it's just county, and local (city PD). Chances are, state won't be knocking on your door (unlikely, but can happen I guess).

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
It's unlikely to have officers knocking on my door period. Which is the point of the question. I just wanted to make sure my wife would be within her rights to call the local PD before answering the door. Unfortunately, you can't be too careful these days.

musclefan21

Established Member
It's unlikely to have officers knocking on my door period. Which is the point of the question. I just wanted to make sure my wife would be within her rights to call the local PD before answering the door. Unfortunately, you can't be too careful these days.

if your wife truly feels that way when every time a marked squad pulls over and uniformed cops knock on the door, then there is no problem for her to call the dispatch center and confirm if they sent officers to your address.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Sure, simular story in my previous cae I was in Chester Pa(The ghetto of ghettos) I was simply passing through heading to see a friend at school. Well at a light 2 black guys in a old grand am stopped next to me at a light, then waitied for me to go and got behind me with a little flip down light. Now like I said on one the the highest car jacking areas in the county I bet I called a non emergency line and it ended up being the drug intervention team curious why 3 white kids happend to be out there, ended up getting it all cleared up, a "we don't blame you"

JST A HDA

Established Member
Hmmm... We have City, County, Sheriff, and State all within a few miles.

County, sheriff are the same.

How about looking out the window, door, etc to see who it is. Look at the car. If it looks like a popo car then 99.9% sure its the real deal. Unmarked car....that's something you could question.

motoman991

Banned
My buddy and I have called the Sheriff's office because of a local town cop that was lying to us.

Local cop said we were free to go. Local cop wouldn't give us our IDs back and kept asking us questions about drugs and searching the car. Same questions like 10 times each. Of course we never give consent for anything. We got on our phones and called the Sheriff's office, 911 and a lawyer. Sheriff showed up within 5 minutes. Local cop talks to Sheriff for about a minute. Local cop comes back and hands us our IDs. Filthy, lying pig.

musclefan21

Established Member
My buddy and I have called the Sheriff's office because of a local town cop that was lying to us.

Local cop said we were free to go. Local cop wouldn't give us our IDs back and kept asking us questions about drugs and searching the car. Same questions like 10 times each. Of course we never give consent for anything. We got on our phones and called the Sheriff's office, 911 and a lawyer. Sheriff showed up within 5 minutes. Local cop talks to Sheriff for about a minute. Local cop comes back and hands us our IDs. Filthy, lying pig.

So are you saying sheriff came and made that cop do that? lol.

Retarded kid.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Normally I would say there are better things to worry about, but just a few weeks ago someone dressed like a cop knocked a close friend of mine's door at night. His wife answered and the "cop" asked for information about a neighbor, trying to figure out exactly which house he lived in. She thought it was suspicious that he was not driving the right type of car so she called the police and they caught him. This happened in a very upscale neighborhood. Turned out one of the neighbors kids owned him money for drugs or something to that effect. My friend and his wife both received subpoena's during the week.

wesessiah

Established Member

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
County, sheriff are the same.

How about looking out the window, door, etc to see who it is. Look at the car. If it looks like a popo car then 99.9% sure its the real deal. Unmarked car....that's something you could question.

Not here. We have County police, city police, state Patrol and county sheriff. The sheriff is an elected official. And all but the Troopers have a few unmarked cars...

JST A HDA

Established Member
Not here. We have County police, city police, state Patrol and county sheriff. The sheriff is an elected official. And all but the Troopers have a few unmarked cars...

Well I take back my statement. My state only has State Patrol, County (Sheriff Deputies) and local police.

FATlaws

Established Member
I mean if your wife is that worried how about she just doesnt answer the door. Theres no law you have to answer just because its a cop, as log as there is no crime in progress involving your house, no one is yelling for help, or the cop has a search warrant then you are totally within your right to not only not answer the door but also tell them to leave your property.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
It could be a well check called in by well most anyone so if in doubt ask through the door after calling 911 and have them check they should know in most places now why a legal authority is at your door wouldn't they???

Users who are viewing this thread