Question for LEO's and gun people

Mario93

Established Member
I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun and want to get LEO's and other opinions on a good quality small handgun. I carry an H&K Compact .45 right now and it is smaller then my Tactical but it is still kind of bulky. Thanks

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Gotta second the 23...I have two- I sold the smaller 27 .40 cal as it was just too untrustworthy..I had too many FTE- maybe caused by the muzzle flip..

I was looking at the KAHR PM40 but have heard they have a lot of FTE issues as does the KelTech .380..[ too light a caliber for me anyway ]

I wish H&K would come out with an ultra compact..the size of the Glock 27...!

Mario93

Established Member
jshen said:
Gotta second the 23...I have two- I sold the smaller 27 .40 cal as it was just too untrustworthy..I had too many FTE- maybe caused by the muzzle flip..

I was looking at the KAHR PM40 but have heard they have a lot of FTE issues as does the KelTech .380..[ too light a caliber for me anyway ]

I wish H&K would come out with an ultra compact..the size of the Glock 27...!
I'll go shoot the 23, yeah H&K's are great, I've probably fired 10,000 rounds through my Tactical and no FTE's or any problems for that matter, I havent shot as many rounds through the compact but no problems with it either. Plus I love the recoil reduction system on both guns.
And Thanks for the input.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Glock 23s are a very nice pistol and are not too bulky. If you have smaller hands, and really want a compact a Springfield Ultra V10 Compact in .45acp is another choice. There are many good compact, sub compact, and ultra compact pistols out there that can pack a punch

txyaloo

Established Member
ford_racer said:
That or one of those new Springfield XDs in .40 or .45.

+1 on the XD. I really like the compact and subcompact models. I carry a Glock 27 most of the time, and it suits my needs well.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Mario93 said:
I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun and want to get LEO's and other opinions on a good quality small handgun. I carry an H&K Compact .45 right now and it is smaller then my Tactical but it is still kind of bulky. Thanks

I like my Kimber UltraCarry in 40 cal. Very accurate and shoots extremely nicely. Its a bit up there though in cost. ($600.00).....

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/stainlessultra.php

I have this one in stainless

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Get a Derringer and that thing that attatched to your wrists so you can flick them outwhen ever you need. Only drawlback is you always have to wear long sleeves.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Or he can go with the belt buckle Derringer.

cc22_bba.jpg

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
glock 23....I'll be purchasing one in the near future here. my dad has one and I have fired it many times, I love it. nice little pistol...but then again, it pales in comparison to his Dessert eagle .50 that thing is a damn cannon. rounds aren't cheap though...ouch. he's got a nice little aresenal over his life time and he said these are his 2 favorites going along side his old .38 S&W revolver. (sold it)

BelvedereGTX

Banned
When I started packing 10 years ago, I kept the gun on my all the time, even the smallest .40 cal i could find (kel-tec). Not too long after I couldnt stand the feel of a gun on me at all. So I purchased a stainless steel .45 cal ( S&W CS45) and threw it under my car seat where it will remain forever or until I have save someone life or my own. I dont generally worry about crime while im on foot. Its the road ragers that get out with tire irons or something that will draw attention

Pearbear

180 Lbs of Sad
Established Member
23 ftw. i love mine. my friend has the XD .40, and it is at least as nice/accurate as the glock. Try and shoot both before you make up your mind.

sig arms .226 in 40 S&W. Good enough for the state police in the majority of states, good enough for the navy seals, good enough for most major city police departments, good enough for the FBI and the department of homeland security, good enough for you and me...

if you want a 45, get the 220... there is no finer semi auto pistol made by man... bottom line... the department of homeland security, the fbi, the navy seals and numerous other law enforcement agencies can't be wrong.

www.sigarms.com

Last edited:
as for the glocks,,, well if it absolutely, positively has to fail when you need it most, accept no substitute.

i saw one blow up at my local range one time, almost took a finger of the shooter with it... good thing he was a lefty...

they do not support the case headspace fully... it even says as much in the owners manual. this on occation causes them to blow up.. and it is widely published on the internet if you search for "exploding glocks" and "Glock kaboom" on google...

Heck go over to GlockTalk.com. It happens frequently enough that they even joke about it on a Glock site, that should tell you something. The chances of it happening are still slim but it can and does happen. I can easily make a Glock fire out of battery and it can blow up when that happens. There have been more than a couple of police departments that have had exploding Glocks and the departments dropped them.

i would start here where it is documented that glocks were blowing up in the hands of law enforcement officers:

Start Here:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
and here:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21806.html

"Ugly as a mud hut, may or may not fit your hands, the .40's tend to blow up more than any other pistol out there because of the amount of unsupported chamber and the FACT that it will fire out of battery. Some dislike the lack of external safety (relies on Glock's "Safe Trigger").

"I carry a G22 issued by my department; we have no flexibility in what we can carry. Uniform a G22 Plain clothes a G23 I hate them both, the grip sucks pond water, it has feed problems and each time you pull the trigger you are waiting for the damn thing to come to pieces."

and

"Still under close hold are the NYPD jamming Grocks. Seems they have had a number of them lock up - can't shoot, can't clear. How many? Enough that Grock stationed 2 guys in a trailer at the range to try to figure out why."

would you want to trust something like that to protect your family? i wouldn't.. it didn't come close to the competition from beretta, colt and sigarms in military trials and no branch of the federal government issues glocks as standard issue. there is a reason for that. Most law enforcement depts that use them, do so because they are cheap, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST AVAILABLE PRODUCT!!!

also you mentioned you were looking at .45s, just to let you know, many law enforcement agencies including the FBI, ATF and department of homeland security have conducted many trials and have determined the .40 Cal S&W to be the best defensive round available.

Last edited:
Sigarms Site Quote:

"The SIG SAUER® P226 is the pistol that set the standard by which all other combat handguns are measured. Designed as SIG’s entrant in the military trials to replace the 1911, today the P226 is in use by the U.S. Navy SEALs, Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies including the Texas Rangers, Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police to name a few."
Add Massachusetts State Police to the list as well... they carry them here...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
If you want a small frame .45, you could also consider the glock 36 (which I have on order currently). Single stack .45 that holds 6 rounds. Reasonably small, much smaller than the 23 (which I have sitting on the desk beside me). However, Glock hasn't made a run of them for a while & they seem to be a bit hard to find.

Cobra Commander, I am a glock fan &, as such, I found your links interesting. Did you read them yourself? Did you count how many times it mentioned the problem surfacing predominantly during the use of reloaded brass of undetermined generation? That is like making a website bashing terminators because some blew up due to a crappy tune. Not the machine's fault it was fed crap.....garbage in, garbage out.

Users who are viewing this thread