Question for guys with VMP GT500 throttle body

Soap

Established Member
Mine came with a secondary return spring. I can't see where it would go or why it is even needed in the first place. The throttle body itself has a large internal spring to keep the blade closed so why use a secondary spring?

Any info as to why it's needed is appreciated.

--Joe

Soap

Established Member
I would use it. I learned that lesson the hard way lol. But I have a bigger KB.

What is the lesson that needs to be learned here? I had a single blade Accufab before with no issues at all. Why would a larger throttle body be any different?

Again.....why is the secondary spring needed?

--Joe

cmac29

Established Member
Because my blower sucked the tb open and the spring did not have enough ass to close it. It was a brand new tb so I do not believe it was malfunctioning. I use 2 Springs for that reason. If you do not want to, the don't. I am just telling you what happened to me as I was in pucker factor 10.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Soap

Established Member
Because my blower sucked the tb open and the spring did not have enough ass to close it. It was a brand new tb so I do not believe it was malfunctioning. I use 2 Springs for that reason. If you do not want to, the don't. I am just telling you what happened to me as I was in pucker factor 10.

Perfect, that's the kind of information I'm looking for. Did that happen while driving/on the gas?

--Joe

cmac29

Established Member
Yes sir, would not won't anyone to have that happen. I have an n2mb box so I was able to hit the clutch and the rpms went down. Thus the tb closed. Then I drove it back home and put the 2nd spring on it.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I just installed my gt500 set up and don't use the second spring. And like you I don't even know where it goes either. So far so good

Bfazona

Established Member
Initially I used a return spring, but hated that it made the throttle pedal more stiff as well. However, the throttle body still did not close all the way at times and the idle would hang up. So I looked for a fix and found that my throttle cable bracket was bent a little bit toward the firewall. I bent it a bit toward the front of the car and no more issues. I don't need the spring and it idles just like a stock throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread