question for ford tech's

granny03

Established Member
Ok, Here is the story. I am selling my cobra and it has a horrible weld on the core support. It looks as if has been in a wreck and that turned away a buyer. the car has a clean title and carfax. My question is is it posible that the core support was welded like that from the factory?

My neighbor who has alot of experience in bodywork looked over the car and noticed some things 1) The fender bolts have never been removed. The paint seal has never been cracked on either fender.
2)you can see where the factory resistance welder only made contact with half of the core support on the side that has the bad weld.
By no means am i saying my car has never been wrecked but 2 people have looked at it and said it dont make sence. and I dont want to lose money if there is a chance my car has not been wrecked
here is the weld. could this be from the factory?
weld.jpg

oilwell1415

Established Member
Are you sure it's a weld, or is it a bead of seam sealer? It doesn't look like a factory weld. If the factory needed a weld there, it would have been a spot weld. Is there a matching weld on the other side? Does everything behind the bumper look like it should? If the car got poled they may have replaced the bumper, center core support, condensor, radiator, etc. without touching the fenders. People have also been known to unnecessarily cut the core support out to replace the radiator, then weld it back in. That's usually seen on the Taurus/Sable line because they are a bitch to change.

granny03

Established Member
If you look close you can tell that the factory weld missed. The other side looks factory and everything behind the bumper looks perfect. Thats what is weird. Everything looks perfect except that one place

Users who are viewing this thread