Question for engineers that have been apart of the hiring process

Catfood

Established Member
Go to your college career fairs, that's how I got hired. Two months after I graduated and a billion applications later not more than a couple phone calls. I went to one career fair and talked to a bunch of people and had my choice of work. It helps if your willing to relocate and travel like it says above. I graduated in Oregon and have already flown to California, Florida and I head to North Carolina next week. That's two months into the job.

What you really need is experience. Give it 6 months to a year and you will be able to apply for a job you really want and have some choices.

benulis55

Established Member
Thanks!

Is there anything wrong with Nuke work?

M.E here, I did nuke work during college and hired on after college. Its a very secure, stable field with good pay. I found it to be extremely boring so I left I went to the defense field and am much happier. It all depends on what you want. I found that nuke engineers werent really what I considered engineers, lots of Excel. Especially for EE, all the electronics in nuke plants are from the 60s-70s...very little digital, so all the digitial design and advanced electronic course you took wouldnt really apply

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Not the thing I want to read. My major will be in petroleum engineering and I would ideally like to live in Texas.

Get internships. The experience you get is worth more than a good GPA. And, most internships in this industry will get you that foot in the door.

GodStang

Established Member
Thanks!

Is there anything wrong with Nuke work?

It can be slow but the pay is outstanding and super stable.

M.E here, I did nuke work during college and hired on after college. Its a very secure, stable field with good pay. I found it to be extremely boring so I left I went to the defense field and am much happier. It all depends on what you want. I found that nuke engineers werent really what I considered engineers, lots of Excel. Especially for EE, all the electronics in nuke plants are from the 60s-70s...very little digital, so all the digitial design and advanced electronic course you took wouldnt really apply

Just depends what part of nuke work you do. I am an I&C engineer so we design all the instruments in our building and we are 100% digital. Now there are still many places that are not digital but if you go where they are building a new plant it will be very digital.

DCS systems are the way many plants are going.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
with your military back ground and experience and the fact you are graduating with a BS in EE....have you sent your resume to SPAWAR? They are located in North Charleston, SC. I have a good number of friends I graduated college with who work there and are EE's. Especially with your Air Force background it would help get your foot in the door. You mention Northrup Grumman, the company I work for has built probably half of those buildings and ports up there.

Last edited:

yelostang

Established Member
with your military back ground and experience and the fact you are graduating with a BS in EE....have you sent your resume to SPAWAR? They are located in North Charleston, SC. I have a good number of friends I graduated college with who work there and are EE's. Especially with your Air Force background it would help get your foot in the door. You mention Northrup Grumman, the company I work for has built probably half of those buildings and ports up there.

I haven't even heard of them man...have a friend that works for the Navy doing advanced Tech and he didn't mention that place :shrug: I'm gonna look into it now though.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
NASA Mechanical Engineer + MBA here.

1) Short and simple. Whoever reviews your resume will look at it 15-30 seconds. Don't put a goal statement, hobbies, etc.
2) Stick with education and experience. Focus on specifics and success stories (don't just say 2 years field engineer service... anything quantifiable, savings, new processes, improvements, etc.)

Remember, your resume is just to get you to a certain pile for additional consideration and possibly an interview. It's not going to be studied. The company will know exactly what they are looking for based on experience. A resume doesn't get you a job. Experience, references, and an interview does.

yelostang

Established Member
NASA Mechanical Engineer + MBA here.

1) Short and simple. Whoever reviews your resume will look at it 15-30 seconds. Don't put a goal statement, hobbies, etc.
2) Stick with education and experience. Focus on specifics and success stories (don't just say 2 years field engineer service... anything quantifiable, savings, new processes, improvements, etc.)

Remember, your resume is just to get you to a certain pile for additional consideration and possibly an interview. It's not going to be studied. The company will know exactly what they are looking for based on experience. A resume doesn't get you a job. Experience, references, and an interview does.

That's the great thing about Air Force EPRs...it's full of all that great yay me stuff. Best part is I have documentation because some of the stuff sounds pretty crazy. One is how I found/fixed a $410.5M equipment account error. I have another where I helped Northrop get a $19.7M contract and they even gave me a chunk of it(a small one). I think I've got everything good to go on the resume now.

How is working at NASA?

Users who are viewing this thread