Question for California highway patrol/l.e.o.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
So I've been doing a little bit of research on potentially going back into school for law enforcement, now my question is; having DoT avi and brake inspector qualifications be beneficial as for chp or sheriffs? Does having training from local colleges also beneficial or a requirement before applying?

Currently I'm in the transportation industry as a trailer repair tech and had to get avi/brake certs as job requirements. Any tips, info or ideas would be helpful. :rockon:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Those things, other than it at least shows the ability to complete training and hold a job, are pretty much useless. CHP may have Troopers that do vehicle inspections and that may help, but I'm not sure how they do it out there.

A wide variety of schooling, not necessarily law enforcement related, are what Dept's are looking for. Some still require CJ Degrees while others are interested in a more rounded candidate.

It's best to look into the requirements of a few agencies that you would be interested in working for. Their websites usually provide that information.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Thanks dude, I wasn't sure if that means anything to have the qualifications, they are nation wide use besides some of the Cali regs we have to follow. Honestly I did not think about checking the chp or local pd websites. Lol but most of the Leo's I know are all former military

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
The CHP does have commercial enforcement officers who specialize in (and train for) such work, but then many agencies in CA also have commercial enforcement officers. The skills you currently possess may be useful in that regard, however they would not make you more attractive as a potential candidate. Education is important, not necessarily in the CJ field, but a degree of any sort will help.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
The CHP does have commercial enforcement officers who specialize in (and train for) such work, but then many agencies in CA also have commercial enforcement officers. The skills you currently possess may be useful in that regard, however they would not make you more attractive as a potential candidate. Education is important, not necessarily in the CJ field, but a degree of any sort will help.

Education is what I'm considering, most of the local jc's offer criminal justice. But as you pointed out my current skill set isn't a major plus, to get them you have to be either in the field for a year or take some test. (I took the test :lol:) I also thought about taking a second job with my father who is a licensed bounty hunter, but honestly I'm not sure if that's looked down apon (I would have to get my license/permits for that to.) hindsight, I'm a little lost on what would be the best practical way besides schooling.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In most areas today, nothing trumps education. Private sector or public sector, education almost always trumps experience, all other things considered equal. That's just the way it is.

Your current job skills are needed, just not in the LE field; if you wish to change careers, you will need skills that make you stand out, and CJ degrees are not as valuable as they once were; and are of little or no use outside of that career field.

I really push my own employees to take advantage of our company's programs for education reimbursment, our totally free MBA program, etc.

They become more valuable to me, the company, and themselves. Everyone wins.

Being a licensed bounty hunter is not looked down upon, however it requires very little education, training or schooling = still will not assist you in building a rewarding career path, but it sounds like your father enjoys it so it is an option.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
In most areas today, nothing trumps education. Private sector or public sector, education almost always trumps experience, all other things considered equal. That's just the way it is.
that is so correct.
Your current job skills are needed, just not in the LE field; if you wish to change careers, you will need skills that make you stand out, and CJ degrees are not as valuable as they once were; and are of little or no use outside of that career field.
I'll have to do more research on degrees/ technical training in cj, but I'm aiming for what is ideal for law enforcement,
I really push my own employees to take advantage of our company's programs for education reimbursment, our totally free MBA program, etc.

They become more valuable to me, the company, and themselves. Everyone wins.
if the company I work for currently offers training but it's virtually useless outside of a freightliner shop, or its a internal coursework created by the folks in corporate
Being a licensed bounty hunter is not looked down upon, however it requires very little education, training or schooling = still will not assist you in building a rewarding career path, but it sounds like your father enjoys it so it is an option.
I did read into requirements for bounty hunting and like you said it has little education/training/schooling that goes with it, I looked at it in a way to see if I would enjoy something in the aspect of law enforcement. Lol. I'll have to check local pd websites. Where in the valley are you? I'm in stanislaus county.

Users who are viewing this thread