question for black 93 cobra owners

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
*edit.....paint color that is :) Anyone else have small cracks in their black paint (crows feet)? My 93 LX had the same issue. My Cobra lives, covered in the garage and still I have a few of these small cracks. At what point could you totally repaint the car and not hurt the value? Just curious if anyone else has this problem...

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I would only paint the hood, I assume thats the part that has cracks in it.

It will hurt the value any time the car is painted IMO.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
If you are talking about cracks at the rear pillar (hatch area near top) that's kinda normal for a fox. The unibody twists and that is what causes this. Both of my mustangs have had subframe connectors and I still have a bit of the paint cracking. I think that when the tops are installed on the cars this is the point at the rear where it is sweated on...IF this is the location that you are referring too..
You're edit was funny--I AM a Black (actually black, Irish and some other stuff too, I'm sure) Black Cobra driver.

Baman

Last edited:

dannyboy76

93 teal black cloth #2853
Established Member
the hood on mine is doing what you are describing. geuss its not a black thing but a 13 year old thing.

bad93svt

Established Member
it was a recall back in 93-94. ford put the paint on to thick which caused it to crack. If you can find a good painter, fix areas in question.
value is in the eye of the beholder. if it is a low mile car.. don't repaint. if it is higher mileage, the value is gone anyway..repaint I say..

SVT1993

Established Member
I'm with bat-stang, only cracks are at the panel welds near the top of the hatch.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You should see how thick the paint was on my buddy's teal car (#2769) - he was leaving out to go to work one morning, and heard a POP (it was about 28° outside). Thought his windshield cracked. Got out, and his PAINT cracked from the driver's a pillar all the way to the passenger 1/4 window. Car had 18k miles on it and was still under warranty.

Ford agreed to repaint the car. Being that he was pretty particular, we told Ford we'd strip most of teh stuff off the car to keep any overspray from getting anywhere. 1/4 windows, headlights, you name it, we took it off.

Well, we started noticing tape lines when the interior came out. And when we pulled the drip molding off (the molding above the windows), we got a big shock - big time thick paint buildup. There was a small chip in that super thick paint. Looked at it closesly, and it had 7 layers of primer/sealer/paint. Evidently, it had been through the paint booth at Ford a time or two.

Took it to Ford, and told them our discovery. BTW, it also had drips/thick paint under all the fender lips (you could feel them with your fingers), plus when you raised the hatch, you could look up at the top of the hatch while sitting in the back seat and seat all kinds of paint drips. :eek:

Anyhow, the ford dealer about crapped themselves when they started stripping for the repaint. They had to send it out to get media blasted (walnut shells) to get all the paint off - it was that thick. Guy said it would have taken them a month of sanding to get through all the paint - he couldn't believe it.

Anyhow, back to topic - yes, it was a common issue on any black ford car in 93...

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
my 93 hood has the crow feet cracking(see my post for hood). i'll just repaint the hood, i just repainted the front bumper cover and had the car detailed.

pjb03

Established Member
Ive got some of these cracks in the paint on the roof and passenger side fender. I also have a stress crack on the drivers side a pillar at the roofline. No cracks around the rear hatch area, but it does look wavey where the roof and quarterpanels come together.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
My black '93 did this same thing after only being about a year old ('95). Hood, roof, and quaters only. Warranty paid my favorite body shop to strip and repaint those panels. It had five coats on it too. Thick as hell. The rest of the paint is holding up just fine...go figure. My car has ALWAYS been in a garage from day one too.

The affected area had about one inch long slits in the paint all over.

blown...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread