Question before buying a K-B kit!!!!!!!!!

valdo's toy

Established Member
Hi COBRAholics!!!
I know that this thread may already been discussed but i would like to have all the possible input from people that have the experience with their K-B equiped cars, before investing 4K.

1. I want low to middle 500 rwhp not 600 plus.
2. I would like to use the stock injectors since i think i don't need the 55's for that hp level for now.
3. I don't want to use the K-B BAP since i've heard of it not been effective on our cars.
4. I want to use a custom made Diablo Sport or Autologic chip or perhaps the always-2-weeks-away-Predator.
5. My car is completely stock exept for a few days away instalation of a Magnaflow catted-X and cat back.
6. How much boost would I need to get there not exceeding the 15 psi mark avoid the oil spill problem, for now.
7. I have AFS 10.5 for the rear to install when the time comes to replace the tires.
8. Where to call for best experience, service and satisfaction, remember this would be a 4k investment.
9. How is your driveability, fuel consumption (acceptabele or exagerated), and overall feeling of the car and it's components )i.e. cruise control, highway cruising, city driving, etc.)
10. The car is daily driven.
11. What type (if nessesary) of idler would i need.
12. I think the list would go like this but really want to be sure of it; Kenne-bell supercharger, Custom chip made by an experienced tuner, Mass air directly installed air intake system
(i.e. K&N, Amazon, etc.), Denso Iridiums (IT22's), maybe an ignition booster (i.e. Plasmabooster, MSD) and a Billet Flow idler pulley or pulley set.

PLEASE TYPE YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND OR RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!

PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES AS NEVER BEFORE IN THEIR LIVES FOUND THEIR STRENGTH AFTER OWNING A T-3 COBRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:read: :beer: HAPPY HUNTING!!

coleman

Established Member
1. 13# pulley might do it. @15 i've got 540 finally.
2. i'm using the stock injectors
3. i'm using the BAP & everthings fine. w/o BAP&KBchip or bigger injectors&custom-tune -- you're in dangerous territory
4. spend what you want
5. ok
6. 13# but i don't know how much blow-by you'll have ... less than me!
7. ok
8. do it yourself & have a competent shop do it ... my dealership actually installed mine :thumbsup:
9. drivability is like stock until you get into it... :burnout:
10. mine too! 15,000+ miles
11. just stock
12. do whatever you want. but above is what i've done & KB's kit does the job w/o having to spend 100s (like 500+) more!

the only benefit to KB that i've seen is efficiency ... the boost doesn't drop off & actually builds w/ RPM. other than that, down low it's just a little more efficent with the same boost.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
1. 13# pulley will probably do it. @17 I have 550 on a superflow I need to get an accurate number on a dynoflow which will be significately higher.
2. Stock injectors are fine
3. The BAP is crap and not needed the same thing it does can be done in the chip correctly.
4. I have a Diablo chip with 11.5 A/F and no problems
5. That is fine umustdv8 is making 545 rwhp on a dynojet at 15# with only Kenne-Bell TB and exhaust.
6. 13# might not have a problem. Umustdv8 has a problem at 15# and I have a oil-spill kit.
7. ok
8. Depends on what you are looking for.
9. My car actually drives much better then stock. My idle is solid at 800 rpm and I don't have the stall issue anymore.
10. Mine is a daily driver and I haven't had any problems and been driving with the KB for over a month now.
11. At 13# which is a 3.5" pulley an idler wouldn't be needed and the 100 mm will most likely not even fit.
12. Buy the KB without the BAP and chip, Steeda CAI, Denso IT-22 plugs, Kenne-Bell Throttle-Body, and call Patrick at Diablo for a tune. Stay away from the BAP, KB chip, and ignition boosters.

The boost on the KB comes on much sooner. At 2k I see almost full boost where on the Eaton that doesn't happen until 4.5+K. The car also drives much better out of boost due to the reduction in parasitical loss from both mechanical and thermal forces.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
1.I'm making 580 with around 15.5psi.
2. I upgraded to the 55's.
3. I am not using the BAP.
4 . I'm using a Diablo Delta chip
5. Other mods are CAI, Accufab single blade TB and exhaust.
6. I have the HBH oil spray kit.
7. I have AFS 10.5's with 285/40/17 F1 GS-D3's for the street.
8. I bought everything from Don at Modular Madness Motorsports.
9. Car is daily driven with no problems. Not real sure what the gas mileage is and I don't really care.
10. Mine too.
11. I have the 3.5 upper pulley and the 100mm idler does indeed fit, but it's close.
12.Everyone is running a slightly different combo it seems. Figure out what's right for you and go for it.

NVMYPWR

Established Member
Okay okay....now you KNEW someone was going to ask so HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU TOTAL BOTH OF THOSE CARS?!

C'mon....tell the stories!

jonas

Established Member
dude dont go straight to a kb, I strongly suggest you do all the supporting mods first like a cai, and x-pipe and maggies and a pully just to see how you like it.

unless you owned a 500 hp car you dont know what you are getting yourself into. I suggest you do these simple mods and see how you like it. you will be in 450 + hp territory with these simple mods

stangin

Established Member
My impressions of the KB on my Cobra

My impression with the KB is it is a nice unit, well documented instructions, a nice piece in general.. my problem is I was rather dissapointed with the performance. I got the accufab with it, KB chip, the bap and the cheezy oil fix, running 15 lbs of boost and yes oil still squirts at 15 lbs, I dyno'd at 514 rwhp and 467 rwtq with stock exhaust and stock injectors - I know I would get about 30+ HP more with a good cat back, but the numbers seem in line with what other people get with the KB minus 30+ HP@15 lbs of boost and the KB chip. The eaton, I ran 444 rwhp and 469 rwtq - the usual 4 mods, again with stock exhaust. I lost a little rwtq with the KB, but picked up about 70 HP - would be 100 HP total gain with the better exaust. I was looking for more torque though was the whole reason that I went KB. It runs great, idles good.. had a problem with the throttle body hanging up after WOT, put a heavier throttle spring, better now, still stuck a little for a little while, but it seems to get better as it loosens up/breaks in as well. I switched to the 19 lb pulley, turned up the BAP to spec and do not notice any SOTP difference. I do notice that any more throttle than about 1/4 or so and boost starts, any rpm. I think this is normal for the small pulley. I still need to tune it better, A/F is good, but I think there is much more power to be had by a proper tune and exhaust - better than KB chip and tune I mean and I should double check that the boost dump valve is adjusted correctly.

Would I buy the KB knowing what I know now??? Not sure, probably not @ $4200. I would have stuck with my original mods on the Eaton, 2.8 upper, CAI, chip, BF idler pulley and added a 6 lb lower. This would have got me to 500 rwhp and 500 rwtq most likely or close to it.

coleman

Established Member
most people are getting w/ eaton & those mods is 460-480 RWHP & 530-540 RWTQ...

but yes, i wouldn't get the KB unless you are eager to make use of it ... IOW, 550-600 RWHP. i've never had a car this powerful & i'm so intoxicated by the power that i won't back off until i get to the KB sweet point on pump gas ... maybe 19#s w/ 93 octane

valdo's toy

Established Member
Hi guys, sorry for not been on the forum last night, i went to bed after posting. COLEMAN, TOOFAST4U, RACERAT, and everyone else wanting to help a big THANK YOU!!! to all of you for your replys, they've been very helpfull for a kit comparo and I'm going to take them in a serious consideration since you have minor differences in your setups are running the numbers i want to reach, so it is much more clear to me to go ahead and take the bait on the K-B since it looks to be not so dificult. Just to let you know money isn't a problem at all (don't take me wrong) it's just that i don't want to buy things that i may not need.For the 500rwhp experience factor, my '92 turbo GT had almost that horsepower level with aprox. 450 pounds less, so i think that would be not big of a problem, but again thanks for your concern. For the totaled cars my first one ('89 GT) was when i was 19+wet road+bad tires so you can figure out what happened, the second one '00 extremely beautiful S/C SALEEN found his final when a powershift from 3rd. to 4th. at more than 100mph found its way to 2nd. gear ( i didn't believe when my friends told me that this thing had happened to their t-5 or t-45) so you know what happened, the car just lock the rear tires spinning it's way to a security wall, the composite hood outer shell lift in the air about 50 feet, yes believe me 50 feet and that was it, for my third one '01 COBRA it was very stupid, a lane change at about 70mph in the night and hitting a car with no lights at all and once again hitting something else an so on, and yes my insurance is very high but this is what you get for beeing a sport car lover and one that loves speed. thanks again for your replys and comments.

coleman

Established Member
valdo's toy, have fun & please post your results for all of us to enjoy along with you!!!

valdo's toy

Established Member
Hi guys, sorry for not been on the forum last night, i went to bed after posting. COLEMAN, TOOFAST4U, RACERAT, and everyone else wanting to help a big THANK YOU!!! to all of you for your replys, they've been very helpfull for a kit comparo and I'm going to take them in a serious consideration since you have minor differences in your setups are running the numbers i want to reach, so it is much more clear to me to go ahead and take the bait on the K-B since it looks to be not so dificult. Just to let you know money isn't a problem at all (don't take me wrong) it's just that i don't want to buy things that i may not need.For the 500rwhp experience factor, my '92 turbo GT had almost that horsepower level with aprox. 450 pounds less, so i think that would be not big of a problem, but again thanks for your concern. For the totaled cars my first one ('89 GT) was when i was 19+wet road+bad tires so you can figure out what happened, the second one '00 extremely beautiful S/C SALEEN found his final when a powershift from 3rd. to 4th. at more than 100mph found its way to 2nd. gear ( i didn't believe when my friends told me that this thing had happened to their t-5 or t-45) so you know what happened, the car just lock the rear tires spinning it's way to a security wall, the composite hood outer shell lift in the air about 50 feet, yes believe me 50 feet and that was it, for my third one '01 COBRA it was very stupid, a lane change at about 70mph in the night and hitting a car with no lights at all and once again hitting something else an so on, and yes my insurance is very high but this is what you get for beeing a sport car lover and one that loves speed. thanks again for your replys and comments.

AMB

Established Member
The KB comes with a 3.75" pulley for about 10psi. A 3.5" pulley is about 12psi. A 3.25" pulley is about 14psi. A 3" pulley is about 16psi. You can use a 90mm idler pulley with any of the upper pulleys. A 100mm pulley is better with the 3" upper pulley. You can buy the the 100mm kit and interchange the 100mm pulley with one of the other stock 90mm pulleys, when using the other upper pulleys. That is what I am doing. The KB BAP has nothing to do with what CHIP/COMPUTER PROGRAM you are using. It is used to boost the F/P output pressure, if required by the CHIP/COMPUTER PROGRAM.

AMB

Users who are viewing this thread