question about your physical training?

Steeltwo

Established Member
What type of physical training do they put you guys through?

i've talked with a few of the sheriffs here(i work for a county and help install/maintain the squad laptops and the jail)

they have a few days of training on how to take someone down and twist their arms and legs around. Thats it.

the rookies have to pass a physical conditioning test, but after that nothing.

Lawman85

Banned
To get a "meets standards" we have to be able to eat a dozen donuts in less than 20 mins. To get an "exceeds standards", we have to do a dozen in less than 10 mins... I'm going for an "exceeds" this year.... been practicing alot.

Seriously, each state has different requirements. If you are serious about becoming an LEO I suggest training on your own. Agencies don't have the time or money to train you how to properly handle yourself in a fight (if this is what you are talking about). There are alot of martial arts you can get into that will help in this field. I would also mainly concentrate on your cardio training, runnng, cycling, etc.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
In the academies in Florida, they teach you basic worthless techniques that are part of the state curriculum. Each agency is different. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and have been for approx. 9 years. I love it, and it works. I have taught 2 different in service training phases on ground fighting. Basic passing the guard and escape from the mount type stuff. But everyone forgets it cause they dont keep up on training.

At my department we have incentives for staying in shape. Each 6 months you can do either a run, walk, or swim for time. You can earn up to 3 days off each time.

Other than that we dont have anything.

Steeltwo

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
To get a "meets standards" we have to be able to eat a dozen donuts in less than 20 mins. To get an "exceeds standards", we have to do a dozen in less than 10 mins... I'm going for an "exceeds" this year.... been practicing alot.

Seriously, each state has different requirements. If you are serious about becoming an LEO I suggest training on your own. Agencies don't have the time or money to train you how to properly handle yourself in a fight (if this is what you are talking about). There are alot of martial arts you can get into that will help in this field. I would also mainly concentrate on your cardio training, runnng, cycling, etc.

ha
a dozen would be quite a feat.

i'm not up for being a police officer. They make less than me and I have little to no chance of bring shot. Although I do want to work security.

i'll just keep fixing your laptops and making sure you can access all the information.

phucking HTE(program we use here)

Steeltwo

Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
In the academies in Florida, they teach you basic worthless techniques that are part of the state curriculum. Each agency is different. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and have been for approx. 9 years. I love it, and it works. I have taught 2 different in service training phases on ground fighting. Basic passing the guard and escape from the mount type stuff. But everyone forgets it cause they dont keep up on training.

At my department we have incentives for staying in shape. Each 6 months you can do either a run, walk, or swim for time. You can earn up to 3 days off each time.

Other than that we dont have anything.

i do judo and jiu jitsu(traditional/japanese) here a few times a week.
good stuff, and people do not know how to fight on the ground to save their life it seems.

i've ended many a argument at parties with an arm or leg triangle.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
ha ha ha sweet. what does it cost in order to get this training? I was high school wrestling for 4 years and also judo. I plan to become a LEO

Steeltwo

Established Member
My Cobra said:
ha ha ha sweet. what does it cost in order to get this training? I was high school wrestling for 4 years and also judo. I plan to become a LEO

my classes cost 35 a month
but that is VERY cheap. The best part is my instructor has a BB(3rd) in Karate, (5th)Judo and Jiu Jitsu. So he incorporates all the useful things :)

judo tends to be cheap, as people want to teach other.

BJJ, those people want to make $, that tends to be anywhere from 50-250 a month depending on where you roll. But that is if there is a BJJ place where you are. The closest bjj place to me is about 80 minutes away :(

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Well, I know that you may be moving to Bradenton, so you may be in luck. For cops it is 75 per month for unlimited classes. Its pricey but we are fortunate to have a BJJ black belt, and our school is sponsored by Royce Gracie. He comes to our school 2 times a year and teaches seminars. He is the man. Roll with him and you realize how awesome BJJ is. However it is the same with Charles, my teacher, and pretty much any of the Brazilians.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Also My cobra, if you like wrestling,you will love BJJ. Once you learn not to roll to your stomach when you get in trouble. Thats where the wrestlers get in trouble in Jiu jitsi.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
ha ha, that woudl be weird after being smacked around every time my back touches the ground. I will be down at the end of summer so i will see where that takes me. Going to finish up my real esate license and computer classes.
~NICK~

Floridalawdog said:
Also My cobra, if you like wrestling,you will love BJJ. Once you learn not to roll to your stomach when you get in trouble. Thats where the wrestlers get in trouble in Jiu jitsi.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
ah...

Steeltwo said:
i do judo and jiu jitsu(traditional/japanese) here a few times a week.
good stuff, and people do not know how to fight on the ground to save their life it seems.

i've ended many a argument at parties with an arm or leg triangle.

Nothing like a good rear naked or a guillitone to get the party started... =)

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
One thing to keep in mind is the vicarious liability that attaches to instances where you apply force to execute an arrest or to overcome resistance. If you use training and techniques not covered under department policy, POST, etc. and your suspect decides to file a formal complaint, sustains injuries, etc. you and your department may be liable for damages.

The courts have already ruled on many such cases, finding non-conformance training to be no different than utilizing weapons that are not authorized, ammunition tha is not autheorized, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread