Question about wheel/tire size change...

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
Gf has a 2001 Mustang GT vert.

Had the 17" bullits on it with 245's all the way around.

Yesterday I put on 18x9 and 18x10 Brushed aluminum Saleen reps with 275's up front and 295's in the rear. I believe both side walls are 30.

She is getting some noise now, which I am thinking is the tire. Its not rubbing, i checked it all, but now her Traction Control light on the dash is flashing on and off when driving.

Does the ECU need reflashed with new tire perimeters?

Thanks

- Sean

SlothRacing

Established Member
So, right now you're at:

Front: 275/30/18
Rear: 295/30/18

Right?

Assuming your previous tires were stock 245/40/17's your overall tire diameter went from 24.72" (Front & Rear) to 24.49" (Front) and 24.96" (Rear).

Since you're only going down .23" in the front and going up .24" in the rear it's not really necessary to do a ECU Reflash, you might just need to break the new tires in. Drive about 500 miles on the new tires and see if the Traction Control light keeps flashing.

As far as the sound goes, I'm not completely sure. Is it a continuous sound or do you hear it on and off? Does it change when you turn?

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
So, right now you're at:

Front: 275/30/18
Rear: 295/30/18

Right?

Assuming your previous tires were stock 245/40/17's your overall tire diameter went from 24.72" (Front & Rear) to 24.49" (Front) and 24.96" (Rear).

Since you're only going down .23" in the front and going up .24" in the rear it's not really necessary to do a ECU Reflash, you might just need to break the new tires in. Drive about 500 miles on the new tires and see if the Traction Control light keeps flashing.

As far as the sound goes, I'm not completely sure. Is it a continuous sound or do you hear it on and off? Does it change when you turn?

its constant, so im leaning towards its just the tread pattern and tire size.

i told her to just turn the TC off anyway, but ill check again in 500 miles

thanks

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
no you do not have to reflash anything. Ive never heard of that problem and i changed tire sizes 5 times in one year without having my traction control fooled with

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I'd bet the tires on the 17" were 245/45/17. Also, diameter varies by brand, even though it should go by printed size, some brands run bigger/smaller. I run 295/35/18 on my rear 18x10 and it's dead on with the stock speedo calibation.

New noise might be just the tires on the road. She'll have a lot more contact patch now, meaning more road noise to adapt to.

Users who are viewing this thread