Question about UCAs

MachJoe

Established Member
I recently did an AutoX event with a F430 and I'm hooked. I want to use my Mach 1 at the next event, but I have Hotchkis solid UCAs. I know that's not ideal, but my question is, will I damage/harm anything if I use them? I'm not really wanting to drop a bunch of money on a track suspension just yet. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this.

sn95.ohh

Established Member
I have never autocrossed a modded solid axle mustang but I know that people say to leave the uppers stock because aftermarket uppers dont allow the suspension to flex. I think you can disconnect one of the uppers if you run into problems.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I have never autocrossed a modded solid axle mustang but I know that people say to leave the uppers stock because aftermarket uppers dont allow the suspension to flex. I think you can disconnect one of the uppers if you run into problems.

You will need to add a panhard bar if you do that. The problem with the UCAs is that they do 2 jobs, both poorly, they locate the axle front to back and from side to side, which means they have competing arcs and cause suspension bind resulting in a phenomena called "snap oversteer" on corner exit. To fix it (sort of) install solid. urethane..whatever lover control arms and retain the stock uppers. If you soak the stock uppers in solvent to make them more pliable, the better they will be. do not use a panhard bar with the stock suspension, it just adds another competing arc.

Users who are viewing this thread