question about turbo on a 95 5.0 (2 pics of the car)

KYLightning02

Established Member
Hey my buddy has a 95 5.0 stang and he is putting his turbo in it and wants it ready for Rod Run down in Tenn. He is putting it in his self and will have it ready by the date we drive down but wont be able to dyno tune it. My question is will it be safe enough to drive 3 hours down and 3 hours back without screwing anything up? He doesnt plan on racing it or going into boost much. Any advice would help thanks.
couple of pics

Fat-cat

Established Member
No sn 95's have a more finikie computer and will more then likely be damn neer undrivable untill a tune goes in it ... my 94 331 stroker would not idle let alone get propper fuel trim after swaping cam and heads so i would think a turbo is going to reak havoc on the tune just my .o2

AintShePurty

Established Member
i dunno anything bout turbos....but as for advice??? tell your friend to ditch that spoiler! it makes baby jesus cry

94cobramike

Established Member
Yeah i am pretty sure it is going to run like crap... You are going to be forcing air into the engine and the 94-95 computer wont be able to make up for that without a tune... especially without a diffrent mass air meter,fuel injectors, and fuel pump ect..

Lets say you do get it to run decently with the turbo... you are going to be running way lean with all that air and not so much fuel. So any time you introduce boost, you are going to be at a huge risk of blowing head gaskets or worse.

Id say if youre going to spend the money to do it, just wait and do it right.

WhiteStallionGT

Tell your friend to join Stangnet and ask the question in the 94-95 tech section. There are tons of knowledgeable and friendly guys in there.

www.stangnet.com

Good luck!

(oh and tell him to ditch the tail lights, both spoilers, and the grill)

KYLightning02

Established Member
94cobramike said:
Yeah i am pretty sure it is going to run like crap... You are going to be forcing air into the engine and the 94-95 computer wont be able to make up for that without a tune... especially without a diffrent mass air meter,fuel injectors, and fuel pump ect..

Lets say you do get it to run decently with the turbo... you are going to be running way lean with all that air and not so much fuel. So any time you introduce boost, you are going to be at a huge risk of blowing head gaskets or worse.

Id say if youre going to spend the money to do it, just wait and do it right.

He already has the different fuel injectors, fuel pump, and everything else all he will be missing is a dyno tune and thats it

Fat-cat

Established Member
KYLightning02 said:
He already has the different fuel injectors, fuel pump, and everything else all he will be missing is a dyno tune and thats it

Did he have some kind of power adder b4 like a procharger or somthing or are all the mods going to be new... because if they are he will have fuel pressure issues as well as it may be big time fat with larger injectors even with the added air fo the turbo

KYLightning02

Established Member
Fat-cat said:
Did he have some kind of power adder b4 like a procharger or somthing or are all the mods going to be new... because if they are he will have fuel pressure issues as well as it may be big time fat with larger injectors even with the added air fo the turbo

everything is new they came with the Turbo kit he bought

KYLightning02

Established Member
BONESTOCK302 said:
Just DYNO it man. Besides you know someone is gonna wanna race and then his excuse will be "its aint tuned yit and my wing aint making enuff downforce to go over 60".

ITS THE ROD RUN!!! HE IS GONNA WANNA GET ON IT!!

LOL yea you are probably right...how long do dyno tunes usually last like how many hours would it take to tune his stang? Might be able to do it the day before we head down

Users who are viewing this thread