Question about treatment during traffic stop.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
First off, I do question the ticket that I recieved but am more concerned about the way I was treated during the stop.

I was pulled over today on my way to work. I have thought about the different ways this could have gone and wonder where it went wrong. The ticket was for "following too closely" which I now understand is or can be wreckless driving. I was in my company work van in the slow lane doing under the speed limit (which is not always the case). Conversation at my window was harsh from the start and lead up to something I was unware of. Long story short I asked the officer a question about the ticket and was ordered to either sign the ticket or be arrested. This took be by surprise and I waited a moment to comprehend what was happening. The officer then called for back up and started shouting the command to sign the ticket or I would be removed from the van by force. I asked him where do I sign he pointed to the bottom of the citation and he grabbed the paperwork before I could hand it to him. I was in shock at this point but clam ( which is surprising now that I look back). I asked for his name and got the reply of its on the bottom of your ticket.

Now I dont agree with the ticket -which was a judgement call. But I mostly dont agree with how it was handled. But is there a place I can file a complaint about the officer?? I know they deal with dead beats and criminals all day long but in his position they are trained to be alittle more proffesional. I dont doubt he had a bad day I have them too but when working with the public you have to be more even keeled than what I experianced today. I am a serivice electrian and deal with people, so I know things happen but am I out of line to express my problem his department? I dont normally post here and read the rules before posting. Following too closely I gather is 3 points and a $166 fine. I havent had a ticket in about 5 years so traffic school is probably in my future.

Thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
File a complaint with his dept. If it was FHP, do it with them. If it was the local S.O. or PD do it there. Just call and ask for the desk Sgt. or Lt.

sweet88gt

Established Member
File a complaint with his dept. If it was FHP, do it with them. If it was the local S.O. or PD do it there. Just call and ask for the desk Sgt. or Lt.

It was a S.O. so I just need to find out which department he is working for. I believe we have a North County and South County station in our area. Is the ticket I recieved a aresstable offense? I guess I have more questions about how bad the offense is. I am sure the insurance is going to love me for the next 3 yrs.

Thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It was a S.O. so I just need to find out which department he is working for. I believe we have a North County and South County station in our area. Is the ticket I recieved a aresstable offense? I guess I have more questions about how bad the offense is. I am sure the insurance is going to love me for the next 3 yrs.

Thanks

Reckless is a separate charge, however, following too closely can be written as reckless under the right conditions. Reckless is a misdemeanor and this issuance of a reckless ticket is a non custodial arrest.

Don't worry about the districts, just call the Sarasota County Watch Commander's office. Here is the number: (941) 861-4221

I am willing to bet they will review the in car camera. If he was out of line they will let you know. Also, if they review the video and determine new or additional charges should be added, they will let you know that as well.

stangposse

Established Member
I would just pay the ticket. For $166, I'd brush that one off and save my energy for the day another cop seriously does wrong by me.

Explain to your boss what really happened and tell him you'd rather not risk some rogue cop messing with his entire fleet of vehicles if you were to complain to his bosses.

You gotta pick your battles wisely.

txyaloo

Established Member

Thanks

In Texas, as in many other states, you can be arrested for refusing to sign the citation.

sweet88gt

Established Member
In Texas, as in many other states, you can be arrested for refusing to sign the citation.

I was't refusing to sign the ticket but actually shocked on how the event was taking place. Probably the case in Fl as well.

sweet88gt

Established Member
Reckless is a separate charge, however, following too closely can be written as reckless under the right conditions. Reckless is a misdemeanor and this issuance of a reckless ticket is a non custodial arrest.

Don't worry about the districts, just call the Sarasota County Watch Commander's office. Here is the number: (941) 861-4221

I am willing to bet they will review the in car camera. If he was out of line they will let you know. Also, if they review the video and determine new or additional charges should be added, they will let you know that as well.

I wondered about the in car camera. If I recall he was not directly behind me in a position to have the camera facing us. We he pulled up he had the vehicle in a cocked manner, angled slightly. It doesnt matter much for the camera. Doubt it would show too much.

I am going to probably pay the fine, and file a complaint. Like I said its not the ticket that gets to me so much as the actions he took to. 3 points has my attention more than the amount of the fine. Its been awhile for any type of infraction so I was probably due. With my type of work we do alot of driving its just a matter of time.

txyaloo

Established Member
This made it sound like you were.

Long story short I asked the officer a question about the ticket and was ordered to either sign the ticket or be arrested. This took be by surprise and I waited a moment to comprehend what was happening. The officer then called for back up and started shouting the command to sign the ticket or I would be removed from the van by force.

I must have misinterpreted it. I learned a long time ago that questioning an officer on the side of the road rarely leads to anything good. They are not the finders of fact. That is the court. It's best to leave questions for court.

Though, it does sound like you have a valid complaint and should call the number Adam provided.

txyaloo

Established Member
I wondered about the in car camera. If I recall he was not directly behind me in a position to have the camera facing us. We he pulled up he had the vehicle in a cocked manner, angled slightly. It doesnt matter much for the camera. Doubt it would show too much.

Most traffic stops have the car angled. The camera and microphone should have still captured the interaction. In this case, the audio sounds like it would be more important than what may have happened on video.

sweet88gt

Established Member
I must have misinterpreted it. I learned a long time ago that questioning an officer on the side of the road rarely leads to anything good. They are not the finders of fact. That is the court. It's best to leave questions for court.

I asked him how much the ticket was because I didnt see it on the paperwork. It was written on the top but with a computer and hard too see. I never questioned his judgement of the ticket just asked how much.

I got the answers I was looking for so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the phone number.

MODDED97GT

Established Member
I work the the S.O that you are referring to and there is a pamphlet at any one of our front desks that you can fill out and it will be investigated by I.A. Sometimes a phone call will just be brushed off. You can get one at the front desk of 2020 main street.

sweet88gt

Established Member
I work the the S.O that you are referring to and there is a pamphlet at any one of our front desks that you can fill out and it will be investigated by I.A. Sometimes a phone call will just be brushed off. You can get one at the front desk of 2020 main street.

Thanks

I asked around and seems this officer does not normally have this type of issue. The more I think about it and replay what happened the more confused I get. I just want the 3 points removed and make the complaint and be on my way.

Thanks again.

RCMPSVT

Established Member
These situations are always difficult to understand over the net, no one on here was present and all situations can be articulated differently. Sometimes people are a-holes and fail to mention it when they say their side of the story on these forums. Maybe in your case the officer was really just like you say. Unfortunatley just like any job their are bad apples. Personally i treat everyone i deal woth just like id like to be treated. If i were you Id take FordSvtfan advise, I know if it were me n i was in the wrong my S/Sgt would tear a strip out of me

sweet88gt

Established Member
I understand it seems I am complaining over the web about a officer and how it sounds. I could be the biggest jerk but sound like a perfect angel thru this keyboard. Nobody is perfect but I do have issue with the way I was treated on this day, so I will complain and feel that maybe it does some good or maybe itsnt worth the ink on the paperwork. :shrug: Either way I am all set. Just treat me the same as you would want to be treated in the same situation, thats all.

Users who are viewing this thread