QUESTION about Torque/yield Cam Cap bolts???

BigmotoXer

Established Member
2011GT, I built my motor Dec 2013, I used all ARP bolts that I thought I needed(head, crank, main, rod). I'm seeing a lot of talk about Cam Cap bolts. I now know the factory Cam Cap bolts are Torque to yield. So plz, since I reused my factory bolts, let's talk for a sec. ...I understand the bolts are to be torque'd to 53+45° or so "inch" lbs. Which is just around 5 ft lbs of torque. For crying out loud how much stretch can you get on a hardened steel bolt that's threaded into aluminum, with aluminum caps, etc? I'm not saying they, or anyone, is wrong, I know there's a right way and a wrong way but for 53 inch lbs , I mean are the bolts rendered usless after being so "barely torqued"? And I totally understand that if you have some heavy duty racing springs it would definitely call for longer, harder, bolts. After-all Eric says these stock bolts are the same lil 'ol bolts that were used for valve cover bolts in some of the 99 Ford motors. I guess in short= how bad is it that I re-used stock bolts on Boss 302 springs with stock cams? ...I just bought a Hellion kit I can't afford MMR or JPC bolts right now lol!

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
The engine assembly manual for ford technicians only states the flywheel and head bolts being TTY.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
The engine assembly manual for ford technicians only states the flywheel and head bolts being TTY.

Then what the heck am I talking about. Hmm. I know I've seen it stated that cam cap bolts were torque/yield in places/people other than JPC and MMR. I need piece of mind, and I'm tired of buying parts that, tho they may be better, aren't required. Its an aluminum journal and cap at 4.4 ft lbs of torque. I don't get it.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Connecting rod bolts and main cap bolts are all non reusable. Cam cap bolts are TTAngle, not TTYield and are reusable.

Oh. Well that changes things somewhat. I think. But isn't TTAangle relatively the same thing, rather that stopping at 4.4 lbs of torque your stopping at 4.4 lbs of torque and then adding 45° "angle". Stock bolt still ain't gonna stretch at 4.4 + 45° if you ask me, but I'm probably wrong, but I'm probably right.

corepwn

Established Member
Oh. Well that changes things somewhat. I think. But isn't TTAangle relatively the same thing, rather that stopping at 4.4 lbs of torque your stopping at 4.4 lbs of torque and then adding 45° "angle". Stock bolt still ain't gonna stretch at 4.4 + 45° if you ask me, but I'm probably wrong, but I'm probably right.

You can look up the difference between TTA and TTY elsewhere but the bottom line here is that the cam cap bolts are reusable.

Users who are viewing this thread