Question about titling my car! Help!

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Probably varies by state......

Are you buying this from a dealership or private party?

In Arizona we don't pay sales tax on a vehicle purchased from a private party.

If you are buying it from a dealership, the purchase order/agreement is what drives the sales tax. If you trade a vehicle in, the value of the trade is subtracted from the overall value of the sale and you pay sales tax only on the difference between the trade and the purchase.

If your state has a "road use tax" or "personal luxury tax" (as Arizona does), that tax value is assigned by the state based upon some table that assigns the value to the automobile. Doesn't matter if it is given to you free, if the assessed value is X you will a stated number of dollars. (New cars can cost nearly $600 or more a year with our road use tax) This tax declines as the car ages.

So in summary, in Arizona, there is no real way to cook the books. You only pay sales tax on a dealer sale, so they would have to be party to culinary event... and most dealerships aren't going to risk their business.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I would not post anything about lying when it comes to paying taxes for obvious reasons. However, in Texas we have the SPV, which is standard presumptive value which is the value of a car set by the state for tax collection purposes. the Kicker to the SPV is you either pay taxes on SPV or purchase price if higher than SPV. I think it is fair considering it does not take into account mileage or condition but the days of saying you got a car for 1200 when it is a 12,000 car are pretty much over around here.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
OP, do the right thing and pay taxes on the correct amount...anything less is BUSH LEAGUE

I have actually nulled a sale because the new owner wanted me to say I sold the truck for $2000, and give me $5000 cash, so he would only pay taxes on the $2000. NO THANKS

...Mark...

Established Member
OP, do the right thing and pay taxes on the correct amount...anything less is BUSH LEAGUE

I have actually nulled a sale because the new owner wanted me to say I sold the truck for $2000, and give me $5000 cash, so he would only pay taxes on the $2000. NO THANKS

I typically do two bills of sale in that instance. One for the actual sales price and another for what the buyer requests. I just let him know that if it comes up down the line i'm gonna say i didn't know anything bout a lower sales price bill of sale. Basically i'm gonna throw his ass under the bus and then back over him two or three times and i let him know up front.lol

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Laws are laws... I got that.

I do think it is poultry manure to charge sales tax on a private party to private party sale. Never heard of such a thing.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Lol wow, You suck @ the seller. I hope you don't Craigslist much and you're probably one of those guys that finds it so difficult to make a sale and blames everyone else.

I always list I sold my cars for less than actual amount on the title. **** the state. They take enough money as it is. If fellow citizens can help each other out then by all means go for it. If I can help someone save a buck you're Damn right I will. I'll put the lowest justifiable price on there. If it's for a buddy I'll put free, if they ever give me shit I'll just say it wasn't running and I needed it gone. Go **** yourself taxman.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I typically do two bills of sale in that instance. One for the actual sales price and another for what the buyer requests. I just let him know that if it comes up down the line i'm gonna say i didn't know anything bout a lower sales price bill of sale. Basically i'm gonna throw his ass under the bus and then back over him two or three times and i let him know up front.lol

Lol this is worse, if you tried to use those in court you would be like trying to bluff someone with pocket aces and both aces on the turn are out while you have 3s and 7s. You'd be just as guilty for knowingly going along and producing two bills of sale, one fraudulent and one legit. At least just make one and stand to a price that makes sense.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
so you are asking for advice on how to commit fraud, and perjury so you can avoid paying taxes? you are quality people for sure, I admire a guy who admits to being a thief and a liar on a public forum. shows he has balls, and is a mans man. Remind me to NEVER do business of any kind with you. Maybe we should send a link to this to your credit union, I am sure they would LOVE the fact that you are going to lie to them in your business dealings.

So basically long story short Im getting a small loan to purchase a 2004 Mach 1. They asked how many miles were on the car and what the purchase price was. I told them 17k and he asked if i wanted to add the extra 1200 to my loan or so that it would cost for taxes and registration. He said when i get the title signed to me i will send it to the credit union and they will title it. I asked if i could title it myself (so i could lie on purchase price) and he said i could but would have to make sure they got on there as lien holder and i had to show a receipt showing i paid all my dues to make sure the title transfer was good. Basically my question is this, did i screw myself by saying i was buying the car for 17k? Or can i go in and title the car and say i purchased it for like 9k and then still put them as the lien holder and the credit union wont care that i lied about the price? Because im sure the receipt will show what my "purchase" price was and if he sees that its way lower then the price i told him, will that raise a red flag? I dont see why they would care anyways because its not like they make any money off those taxes. They're still getting the same amount. Any help would be appreciated. I hope that wasnt too confusing.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
gotta love the lack of integrity in this thread. All your parents must be proud.

Users who are viewing this thread