Question about tires on cpo ford

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Hey guys I bought my wife a cpo Explorer last week, car is really clean for most part but I noticed the tps light was on when I test drove it and before I took car home I told dealer to put air in tire. It was the pass front could clearly tell it was under inflated. By the time I finished everything it was late and just took it home, the tps light was still on and thinking it needed time to reset my kia takes a while. Anyway get car home light still on so I put air in and it only had 20lbs thinking all is well. Until two days later my wife says light is back on and I looked at tire again and noticed there is a nice gash in side wall, if I open hash I can see the cords of the tire. So my question is am I sol? I did mention to dealer before I bought it that tire was low on air and cpo inspection is to check tires should that have been replaced for cpo? I checked the tread depth and they all are within the cpo checklist. I just wanted some opinions before I called dealer up. Thanks

And ps sorry I typed on phone probably have a bunch of errors

oldmodman

Established Member
What does cop mean?

All used cars have a warranty if bought from a dealer. Safety items warranty is even longer. Take it back and demand at least one pair of tires. They can't replace just one since the rolling diameter would be different among that axle and would screw up the diif or confuse the computer for abs.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I think you'll might need to eat the cost of a new tire unless there was a written agreement for them to replace it at time of purchase. You could ask anyways and maybe they'll take care of you.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Sorry phone auto corrected it's a certified pre-owned (cpo) . I did mention to them that one tire was low and I took a few pics on my cell that day and one shows that tire looking low. I looked at the cpo checklist and it states car should have correct wheels and tire with atleast 50% tread left and showing normal wear. I would think a huge gash in one tire is not not normal wear.

I bought cat last week and I even brought up which tire was low before I bought it so it's not like I had car for an extended period of time and I'm calling dealership about bad tires.

And yes I assume it would need two tires to match the diameter from side to side since it's awd.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
First pic is when I was looking at car. Tire in question is the pass front.
Last two are ones I just took with a scale showing gash.

f60f283d47d12c064c9e06cfbc1e64e5.jpg
d85fc931b2e757a5b599c1da1eef1c3c.jpg
9627e6f7ffc2eb36ffb5eb9044c35146.jpg

Sn95Snake

Established Member
You may or may not have to eat the cost of the tire. Especially since the gash was noticed two days later, that gash could have realistically happened anywhere while it was being driven for two days. Even if that is not the case and it was like that before, the dealer will more than likely use that excuse.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I would take it in, CPO's are supposed to be like new condition and a gash like that might even fail a safety inspection for your state. My parents bought a CPO accord and I saw it a week later the tires had bad dry rot and cracks. I told them to bring it back and they spoke to the manager and had all four tires replaced.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Talked with dealer, going to bring it to them sat. They sounded pretty cool about it, manager said they would take care of me so I shall see what happens Saturday.

SirShaun

Established Member
I had a case of a horrible front end alignment on my 2010 GT500 CPO. Insides of the front tires were ate to the wires about 2000 miles after I took it off the lot when I noticed it.

To cut the story short, they purchased 1 front tire and I purchased the other and they gave me a free alignment. I had to argue with them half of the day to get it however. They tried everything from oh it has Camber Plates to wrench marks and the blue line being off on alignment marks.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Normally the first 30 days are a crap shoot for a CPO car. The dealer will most likely fix it. Show them the picture of you all test driving it with the low tire.

SHOdown220

Established Member
If it's a good dealer they will take care of you. Realistically the gash could have happened after you took delivery of the vehicle, however, a dealer probably won't let you be upset over a tire. There is also a good chance you haven't received the survey yet which they know and most likely won't risk a bad score over this.

wht93gted

Established Member
I just bought a CPO mercedes; they put new tires on it as part of the CPO process.

A good dealer will take care of it; but I doubt there's anything forcing them to. I bought a WRX few years ago, got a screw in the tire on the drive home from the dealer (brand new car.) I called them the next day and they gave me a new tire.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I just bought a CPO mercedes; they put new tires on it as part of the CPO process.

There's a 180 degree difference between Mercedes dealers and Big 3 dealers. Ford, GM, Chrysler dealers have shit service compared to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. Even if you buy a $50k+ vehicle.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
They may not get a survey from ford but I think they can pull the CPO program if the dealer is not doing the proper inspections on the vehicles. The dealer I worked for tried passing through vehicles that have been wrecked but the mechanics stood their ground and threatened to call the higher-ups at ford.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I would argue the fact that they missed this as part of their CPO inspection. Youll probably get a free tire out of it.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
They did mention a survey but I don't know if it's from ford or just for them. I'm at the dealer now they took car to service department, It's a legit and pretty big ford dealer so I'm hopeful it will get fixed it's not like I'm trying to swindle them for free stuff. I noticed the low tire and tire light and brought it to their attention before I took car. I just didn't notice the gash till a couple days later.

Other thing I'm worried about now is if they replace just that tire I don't know how sensitive this awd system is to different tire diam. New tires for car are 10/32nds and I measured my tires with my calipers and they were hovering around 7-7.5 32nds so a new tire would be around 3/32nds larger worst case. So I don't know if that's in spec for tire diameters.

Bronze123

Established Member
Usually within 25% of the other tires, the awd system should be okay. Worse case, you can get a tire shaved down at Tire rack, to meet the same 7-75/32 of an inch.

Is the tire leaking from that gash? I would check that first before going forward. I would also be worried about the potential for a cracked rim. I see alot of rim damage on the Right front, since its the one that hit pot holes first.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
The dealer put a new tire on. I talked with service manager and he stated that the difference in tire diameters should be OK, I'm still on fence since I can't find any actually specifications from ford on tire diameter variations. And also the fact that the car is now pulling to the right under acceleration and to slight left while coasting. I called dealer back, the manager was cool about it and wants to make it right, can't knock them about that. Had other dealers that were wayyyy less helpful.
So I'm going to try and make it back mon and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread