question about tire installation

Richter888

Established Member
I was at my local auto hobby shop and I was installing my new toyo proxe r888 tires on two of my wheels. I've done tire installation before, but not as a job. Its not rocket science. One tire goes on with relative ease. It fought a little, but slipped on.

Now on to the second one. Its was a PITA. The machine for some reason didn't have enough power to stretch the second tire on. So I said screw it, I'll just take it to the local tire shop.

So I take it to the local firestone. I give them the rim and tire. I walk back up front and relax. Employee comes up and says, "Hey, its going to be an extra few minutes. The bead isn't really seating and we are going to leave it out in the sun, but you can go out back and check it out." So I go out. Talking to an employee he said there was 100psi in the tire! I asked why, and they said its because the bead isn't seating. On the side of the tire it says 51psi MAX.

So as I was talking to a friend of mine about it, I begin to here a crackling, or hissing. I look over and the sidewall is growing a bulge and its growing very fast. I scream for an employee, and the come out and release the pressure.

Now this is where it gets funny. They are saying that its a tire defect at first. I asked why there was over 100psi in the tire. He goes off telling me that they do it all the time and its not bad for the tire. Myself and my buddy are telling him about the max psi on the side of the tire and he says its fine.

Fast forward to tire removed. The tire is ripped around the bead on the inside of the tire. You can see the cord. Now they are saying its might be my fault. Funny thing, I checked the tire before coming in and no rip. Did they try and force it on?

I bought the tires from tire rack 6 months ago. The tires arent even 2yrs old from date of manufacture.

So I need an opinion as to what I should do. Do I call a district manager of firestone and complain? I ended up having to buy some tires just so I could get my car on the road. I'm sure as **** not driving on a tire that has a bulging sidewall.

I figure this is the best section to ask a question like this. I'm pretty upset. I'm going to call tire rack to see if they will cover it under manufacturer defect. Though, I bough these tires a while ago...

Thank you!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
From what you have described it sounds like somewhere along the line someone ripped/tore the bead which caused air to migrate through the bead into the sidewall thus creating the bubble in the sidewall. This will not be covered under the manufacturers warranty.

In-regards to the air pressure used to seat the bead, it's recommended not to inflate the tire past the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

Users who are viewing this thread