question about supercharger

BelvedereGTX

Banned
in a couple weeks i will be buying a brand new complete kit vortech sc trim 6 pound boost supercharger. Now take a look at my mods in my sig. the car is tuned as well. Whats with the FMU unit in the parts list? Even though this is for a stock 5.0 well the FMU be able to realize my car has the mods listed. thanks. If there is anythin else i should know, please tell me

sled

Established Member
FMU's are a joke. get 42lbs injectors and the maf calibrated. thing will run 10 times better. I blew up my stock motor because i used an FMU. all they do it spike the fuel pressure.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
FMU's are a joke. get 42lbs injectors and the maf calibrated. thing will run 10 times better. I blew up my stock motor because i used an FMU. all they do it spike the fuel pressure.

i hear a bro. im gonna have to live with the 24's for a little while cause i dont want spend up my whole tax return. the car only sees maybe 200 miles a year. i wont be in boost to much either. i just like the way the things sound at idle. lol

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
well i'll chime in... first off i wouldn't have went with the s/c trim... The S-trim is what you should have bought. you'll only get 4 more lbs out of it out of the box anyhow. The fmu will work okay, but i'd at least upgrade to 30# injectors. as for the tires spinning... if they don't spin, you wasted a bunch of money :)

Adower

Established Member
Id say you cant go wrong with either the S-trim or a novi 2000. Like everyone says dont use the FMU. Get a tune, bigger injectors, and calibrated MAF.

blownfox

Established Member
you'll probably make more like 4 or 5lbs of boost with a trick flow kit. I have the same kit on my car and only made made 4.8lbs. I made the switch to 42's and my tuner recal my MAF becuase the C&L i bought didnt make any power. I have about 175,000 miles on my shortblock, 100 degree + 90% humidy, and a recal MAF I still made 366 rwhp/375tq. Poor tires!

Also make sure your FMU is setup for 24's and not 19's. These kits are for bone stock cars.

Last edited:

drkhrse

Established Member
i hear a bro. im gonna have to live with the 24's for a little while cause i dont want spend up my whole tax return. the car only sees maybe 200 miles a year. i wont be in boost to much either. i just like the way the things sound at idle. lol

If you are going to do it, do it right. I have 30lbers on mine, ~8lbs boost. NO FMU, have one to sell if you want one that bad.

9T3SVT

Established Member
I bought the SQ kit that is 93 Cobra specific. I bought that particular kit because our cars come with under drive pulleys from the factory. I ran the FMU that came with the kit and the stock 24lb injectors. I installed AFR 165's, a ported lower intake and the UPR power pipe along with everything else. I didn't even get a chip burned for the car and with a proper tune the car made 417 SAE corrected horsepower and it made 9 pounds of boost.

I'd save up a little more and stay away from the A trim kit if I were you.

If injectors and a MAF are in the budget I'd get the 42's and an SCT meter along with a custom chipped tune. I will warn you up front that the calibration disc they send from Vortech will need to be changed. FMU's are a band aid and you should do it the right way, but if the budget doesn't allow it just save and wait. Also prepare to spend about twice as much as you have planned for, superchargers are like Pringles, once you pop.....

I paid $2319 shipped from www.superchargers4less.com for kit number 4FA218-030SQ

Last edited:

racerbox77

Established Member
When I bought my car it had the Sq-trim kit on it for 93 Cobras with an FMU and the stock injectors. Granted it only had cat back on it but it was piss slow! The first thing I did was put 30lbs inj and an 80mm Pro-M on it. Scraped the FMU and tuned it manualy. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Ok, heres the scoop. I called my tuner and he has for me a vortech v1 S trim 10 pound boost. Comes with all parts and a 4 inch anderson pipe for 1900 bucks. came off a fox with a gt40 crate engine and the car only has 24 pound injectors. he made over 400 to the wheels on the mustang dyno he has in the shop and used it for 3000 miles. he is switching to turbo. Anyway he told me that he would dyno the car and burn me a new chip and all i will need to pick up is a blow off valve. He said my 24's are good enough. he is a reputable tuner who works on mostly stangs of course. either way im gonna pick up this s trim regardless. hell if i blow the engine ill guess ill just have to have one built. cant beat the price.

Last edited:

racerbox77

Established Member
Is the pulley system cogged on the blower? Is that why you need a blow off valve?

IMO 24lbs inj. are not enough for a h/c/i with 10psi of boost set up. My car has 30's and stock heads/intake with a E cam. I run around 11-13 psi depending on the weather. At the top of 4th gear my wide band shows lean and my fuel pressure is up about as high as it will go without the car runnin like shit. I know I need a tune but 24's? No way, and your car should make more power than mine.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

:nonono: Bad idea. Why spend the money you are going to, and not be able to utilize the boost.

LOL, if you think that you are going to put a supercharger on your car and stay out of boost, well your wrong. Especially if you only drive it 200 miles a year. You are going to spend way more than your tax return if you run out of fuel......

BelvedereGTX

Banned
:nonono: Bad idea. Why spend the money you are going to, and not be able to utilize the boost.

LOL, if you think that you are going to put a supercharger on your car and stay out of boost, well your wrong. Especially if you only drive it 200 miles a year. You are going to spend way more than your tax return if you run out of fuel......

i hear ya bro. i just one of those things.

Users who are viewing this thread