Question About Start Up

03DSGCOBRA

WHAT IS UP WITH MY STARTUPS?

WHEN I STARTED MY CAR UP THE OTHER DAY A COUPLE PUFFS OF BLUE SMOKE CAME OUT OF THE TAILPIPES, THEN IT WENT AWAY. THEN WHEN I GOT HOME I LET THE CAR SIT FOR 30 MIN. THEN I STARTED IT BACK UP, AGAIN BLUE SMOKE CAME OUT FOR LIKE 10 SECONDS, BUT ONLY THIS TME THE IDLE STARTED TO STUMBLE AS IF IT WAS CAMED, THEN THE SMOKE WENT AWAY AND THE IDLE CAME BACK TO NORMAL. THEN THIS MORNING IT STARTED UP WIHT NO BLUE SMOKE. :shrug:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10101.asp

Users who are viewing this thread