Question about SIM cards/Cell phones?

joec

Established Member
I've looked on the internet, and can't find anything on the subject.. so i figured
i'd ask here.

i want to get a new cell phone, but my credit is nasty and i don't have to have to deal with a deposit at a cell phone carrier. So I was thinking of buying an unlocked gsm phone off ebay. But my question is this: most unlocked cell phones on ebay come WITHOUT a sim card. so if i wanted to go prepaid, could I just goto a sprint/at&t/verizon store and pick up a prepaid SIM card?

Would this work?
Would that make any unlocked gsm phone a prepaid phone?

Thanks in advance!

joe

racerxxx98

Established Member
I work for cingular so i'll help you out here.First off any unlocked gsm phone you get off ebay will work on any gsm network ie(cingular and t mobile) those are really your only 2 options.If you plan on trying verizon,sprint,nextel or anyone else they don't use gsm they use tdma,cdma,and other types of networks.So to answer your question yes you can go into any cingular or tmobile store or gsm carrier and get a pre paid phone with the phone u purchased off the internet.

joec

Established Member
So i can just goto cingular or tmobile and say "i need a prepaid sim card?"
and they'll know what i'm talking about?

also, will the sim card have activation information and such on it? like how to activate it and get a telephone number and such?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
joec said:
So i can just goto cingular or tmobile and say "i need a prepaid sim card?"
and they'll know what i'm talking about?

also, will the sim card have activation information and such on it? like how to activate it and get a telephone number and such?

you can also buy the prepaid sim card on ebay

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
I also work for cingular and to answer your main question, you don't need credit for a prepaid phone because there's no credit check or deposit required. If there's a phone that you'd like to use and the store doesn't have it, buy it on eBay and bring it in to the store to get it activated. The main thing is to play it safe and just get a phone that has that carriers logo on it. That way you know it will work. You could also just go into the store and ask what specials they have on prepaid. In our store we offer specials on select phones that include the phone, sim card, activation, and $10 worth of minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread