Question about pulley install with non-amazon pulley installer

04CobraOwner

Established Member
let's see if I can explain this..

my screw installer is threaded into my blower shaft, with my jackscrew and puller body installed (with bearings and thrust washer in place).

As hold the jackscrew in place, and turn the puller body (to press the pulley into position) - the pulley and blower shaft turn as well - so when I hold my jackscrew in place, the force unscrews the screw installer from the blower shaft instead of pressing the pulley on...

does my explanation of what is happening make sense? anyone know how to resolve this?

04CobraOwner

Established Member
wow - noone has had experience with the pulley and shaft turning?

plan to give doug @ billetflow a call tomorrow, but was hoping I might make some progress tonight...

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
My shop could not install my Amazon pulley today, he did not have an amazon puller though and the middle screw that goes in the center of the pulley puller kept bending.

We had let the car cool for 1.5 hours but I was told by them to bring it back because it has to cool for 5-6 hours. This turned out to be a real inconvenience but I dont mind if it is the right way. I have a feeling he will have the same problem because of the puller he is using.

Anyone have the same experience?

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Hmmmmm.....not really sure what's happening here. Who's pulley puller are you using. Never had any problems with the Amazon/Billetflow puller. Check out the site that Linn is refering to. It's really a two person job and you need one person to hold the puller (with a bar for removal and a wrench for install) while the other person is actually removing or installing the pulley.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Thanks for your reply, I forwarded the shop the link for the install. I do not know what brand puller they have but it is definitely not the Amazon.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
did they say exactly why it would not go on? is it not going onto the shaft the whole way or is the snout itself not allowing the pulley to install the whole way?

we see different tolerences on both the shaft and the snout..sometimes grinding of the snout has to be done to allow the pulley to install the whole way..we also see the shaft with the pulley very hard to install or so loose that it spins on the shaft...this again is a tolerance issue..

or was it a completely inadequete tool problem?

please contact us if there is any way that we might help with this or have the shop call 864 332 0955

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Thanks Linn. In my opinion it was a tool problem. He could not get the stock pulley off because the center threaded bolt kept bending, he went through two and gave up.

He was not using two people though. He blamed it on the heat which I agree is a factor but I do not think it was the main reason in this case.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
it is a two people job and the right tool certainly makes it a simple install... the wrong tool and it will turn into a nightmare..so what is the status at this point?

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Thanks again for your reply. I am dropping it off tomorrow so it can cool all day and he is using another brand of puller from a friend who has another shop (do not know which puller it is). Steeda happens to be down the street, he may purchase theirs. Do you know if it is similar to yours?

He also has your number just in case.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Ok success! Pulley was on and off in 10 minutes with the right tool!

I will be posting my happiness after I pick it up today!

Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread